Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought 2007 RR it came with the headers wrapped because the poor quality fairings were melting from the heat. Ive heard it can damage the header over time to have them wrapped. I’m not too worried about moisture retention because I live in the desert where it rains 15 days out of the year and is 0% humidity most of the time. What I am worried about is the header cracking; from what I understand, the steel becomes brittle over time from the heat retention. I feel like there are a couple of things to consider when discussing wrap in terms of motorcycles. Bikes usually have exhausts made with better metals than cars because cars have body panels and under cowling to protect the engine bay (especially the newer ones), so rust and oxidation is less of an issue. Most common consumer vehicles come with mild steel instead of true stainless steel which might contribute to 80% of the online forums being about how exhaust wrap killed their exhaust. Furthermore, stainless steel is much less efficient at conducting heat and remains much more stable when exposed to extreme heats. But the theoretical properties of the metal are one thing. Does anybody have experience with this, specifically with stainless steel motorcycle headers? I understand it can make the ugly, but I’m talking structural damage.
Thanks in advance

1 - 2 of 2 Posts