Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi thinking about changing the stock bar ends with alumimum is there an issue?

Heard the weight change will give headshake?
Please advise

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I changed out the stock ones on my gixxer to aluminium ones. That bike didn't vibrate much, so I didn't notice much difference. It won't affect headshake, but there's less damping of vibrations so you'll feel more through your hands/wrists.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Plus I had been running without bar ends for a couple of weeks cuz mine had fallen off mid ride lol. I didn't notice a difference.

·
Registered
746 Posts
on some older model bikes the weight can make a difference, but barely. but on most newer model sportbikes you can barely tell the difference(mine fell of mid-ride too^^) didnt notice til i parked it that night.

·
Registered
191 Posts
my 96 ..900rr had aluminum bar ends on it when i got it .. my bars vib. pretty bad at about 90 or so, bad enough to make my hands start to go numb after about 40 or 50 miles . sooo would putting stock bar ends on it help with this problem? or do they sell a vib. damper for this ? ... sorry about bein a :thrdjack:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my 96 ..900rr had aluminum bar ends on it when i got it .. my bars vib. pretty bad at about 90 or so, bad enough to make my hands start to go numb after about 40 or 50 miles . sooo would putting stock bar ends on it help with this problem? or do they sell a vib. damper for this ? ... sorry about bein a :thrdjack:
Im thinking your wheels may need to be balanced...same as a car

·
Registered
151 Posts
motorcycle tires do not need to be balanced... just make sure colored dot or bar code (in michelin's case) is over valve stem... and bar ends are useless.

·
Registered
316 Posts
their aren't any bar ends that will take away the vibration ur feeling. u need ur wheels balanced.

·
Registered
316 Posts
motorcycle tires do not need to be balanced... just make sure colored dot or bar code (in michelin's case) is over valve stem... and bar ends are useless.
not true. even if u align the dot with the valve stem the rim is not perfectly round. plus the tire is not made exactly for the wheel ur installing it on.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi thinking about changing the stock bar ends with alumimum is there an issue?

Heard the weight change will give headshake?
Please advise

The weights are supposed to help reduce vibration but their real purpose is as crash sliders.
I remove them off all my bikes and never had any problems.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
not true. even if u align the dot with the valve stem the rim is not perfectly round. plus the tire is not made exactly for the wheel ur installing it on.

Not true.
Sportsbike wheels and tyres are made to incredible tolerances.
They do not need balancing.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Sportbike wheels TOTALLY need balancing. I when I had my tyres changed over on my gixxer thou, I took it over to a dyno day. The power graph was totally smooth, or at least it would have been if the back wheel was balanced properly. 1/3 of the way through the first run, the guy operating the dyno came back to a stop, saying the wheel wasn't balanced, and when the graph came out, the whole line was a zig-zag right up the redline. I thought the new tyres created a bit more vibration, and the dyno proved it. Went back and got them balanced - no more issues.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Sportbike wheels TOTALLY need balancing. I when I had my tyres changed over on my gixxer thou, I took it over to a dyno day. The power graph was totally smooth, or at least it would have been if the back wheel was balanced properly. 1/3 of the way through the first run, the guy operating the dyno came back to a stop, saying the wheel wasn't balanced, and when the graph came out, the whole line was a zig-zag right up the redline. I thought the new tyres created a bit more vibration, and the dyno proved it. Went back and got them balanced - no more issues.

I'm sure there are anomalies but wheels do not need balancing - unless you have a problem of course.
Did you remove any existing balance weights when you fitted the tyre?
I have run more than a hundred different tyres on a number of my bikes up to the top speeds with no problems at all - without balancing. I run new and secondhand tyres including race take-offs, mixing different brands and types of tyres. I run them forwards and reversed and I even reverse the front wheel on the bikes that allow it (my 929 and GSXR's for example). I think I have tested it enough to be able to say that it's not required.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Whatever works for you, carry on. I on the otherhand, will be balancing my wheels :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Whatever works for you, carry on. I on the otherhand, will be balancing my wheels :)
Same here.

Also agree with bladeracer on th bar ends. They're mostly meant for crash protection.

Another thing I wanna point out is that th 929 already has weights inside th bars. However, Idk about other years and models.

·
Banned
681 Posts
I have no idea where all these differences of opinions come from unless it's just the difference between actual personal experience and those that read Wikipedia for a fast answer?
I have owned dozens of bikes and experimented frequently with no bar ends, stock bar ends, and aftermarket (heavier than stock) bar ends. You do feel a difference in your grips from engine vibration (high frequency), not wheel vibration ( low frequency). Some use foam grip puppies or foam grips to reduce the transfer of vibration to your hands and extend riding comfort overall.

As far as wheel balancing, I've always paid to have it done, and somehow, regardless if it's the wheel or tire, they all required weight to be added at some key spot on the wheel.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have no idea where all these differences of opinions come from unless it's just the difference between actual personal experience and those that read Wikipedia for a fast answer?
I have owned dozens of bikes and experimented frequently with no bar ends, stock bar ends, and aftermarket (heavier than stock) bar ends. You do feel a difference in your grips from engine vibration (high frequency), not wheel vibration ( low frequency). Some use foam grip puppies or foam grips to reduce the transfer of vibration to your hands and extend riding comfort overall.

As far as wheel balancing, I've always paid to have it done, and somehow, regardless if it's the wheel or tire, they all required weight to be added at some key spot on the wheel.
i can rev the bike in nutural with no un expected vib. but on the road at higher speeds it gets annoying ...... just wondering .... could a fork being low on oil cause this ?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Why would the fork be low on oil? Has it been leaking? Remember an engine under load is different than an engine with no load.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts