Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Experts...is/are there issues with changing bar ends?

4K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  00blade 
#1 ·
Hi thinking about changing the stock bar ends with alumimum is there an issue?

Heard the weight change will give headshake?
Please advise

#2 ·
I changed out the stock ones on my gixxer to aluminium ones. That bike didn't vibrate much, so I didn't notice much difference. It won't affect headshake, but there's less damping of vibrations so you'll feel more through your hands/wrists.

#6 ·
my 96 ..900rr had aluminum bar ends on it when i got it .. my bars vib. pretty bad at about 90 or so, bad enough to make my hands start to go numb after about 40 or 50 miles . sooo would putting stock bar ends on it help with this problem? or do they sell a vib. damper for this ? ... sorry about bein a :thrdjack:

#12 ·
Hi thinking about changing the stock bar ends with alumimum is there an issue?

Heard the weight change will give headshake?
Please advise

The weights are supposed to help reduce vibration but their real purpose is as crash sliders.
I remove them off all my bikes and never had any problems.

#14 ·
Sportbike wheels TOTALLY need balancing. I when I had my tyres changed over on my gixxer thou, I took it over to a dyno day. The power graph was totally smooth, or at least it would have been if the back wheel was balanced properly. 1/3 of the way through the first run, the guy operating the dyno came back to a stop, saying the wheel wasn't balanced, and when the graph came out, the whole line was a zig-zag right up the redline. I thought the new tyres created a bit more vibration, and the dyno proved it. Went back and got them balanced - no more issues.

#15 ·
Sportbike wheels TOTALLY need balancing. I when I had my tyres changed over on my gixxer thou, I took it over to a dyno day. The power graph was totally smooth, or at least it would have been if the back wheel was balanced properly. 1/3 of the way through the first run, the guy operating the dyno came back to a stop, saying the wheel wasn't balanced, and when the graph came out, the whole line was a zig-zag right up the redline. I thought the new tyres created a bit more vibration, and the dyno proved it. Went back and got them balanced - no more issues.

I'm sure there are anomalies but wheels do not need balancing - unless you have a problem of course.
Did you remove any existing balance weights when you fitted the tyre?
I have run more than a hundred different tyres on a number of my bikes up to the top speeds with no problems at all - without balancing. I run new and secondhand tyres including race take-offs, mixing different brands and types of tyres. I run them forwards and reversed and I even reverse the front wheel on the bikes that allow it (my 929 and GSXR's for example). I think I have tested it enough to be able to say that it's not required.

#18 ·
I have no idea where all these differences of opinions come from unless it's just the difference between actual personal experience and those that read Wikipedia for a fast answer?
I have owned dozens of bikes and experimented frequently with no bar ends, stock bar ends, and aftermarket (heavier than stock) bar ends. You do feel a difference in your grips from engine vibration (high frequency), not wheel vibration ( low frequency). Some use foam grip puppies or foam grips to reduce the transfer of vibration to your hands and extend riding comfort overall.

As far as wheel balancing, I've always paid to have it done, and somehow, regardless if it's the wheel or tire, they all required weight to be added at some key spot on the wheel.

#19 ·
I have no idea where all these differences of opinions come from unless it's just the difference between actual personal experience and those that read Wikipedia for a fast answer?
I have owned dozens of bikes and experimented frequently with no bar ends, stock bar ends, and aftermarket (heavier than stock) bar ends. You do feel a difference in your grips from engine vibration (high frequency), not wheel vibration ( low frequency). Some use foam grip puppies or foam grips to reduce the transfer of vibration to your hands and extend riding comfort overall.

As far as wheel balancing, I've always paid to have it done, and somehow, regardless if it's the wheel or tire, they all required weight to be added at some key spot on the wheel.
i can rev the bike in nutural with no un expected vib. but on the road at higher speeds it gets annoying ...... just wondering .... could a fork being low on oil cause this ?

#21 ·
Why would the fork be low on oil? Has it been leaking? Remember an engine under load is different than an engine with no load.
well .when i got the bike i vaguley remember one fork & break caliper being really dirty ....well duhh...:thumbd: i should have just changed the oil in them & put new seals on:crap::O:thumbd:... but i can hear a strange noise when compressing my front susp.

#25 · (Edited)
Just my tuppence worth, re-balancing sportsbike wheels - i always static balance the front wheel for all the time it takes, to reduce as much vibration through the bars as possible for the road, i never do the rear wheel as when after balancing you reinstall the sprocket carrier and cush drives which will throw the balance out therefore a waste of time.

For trackdays i don't bother with either front or rear balance as bladeracer says you don't need it.

#26 ·
I always put my wheels on axle stands for a static balance check with every tire. Michelin claims that a properly made tire does not need balancing, and I think I can agree with that.

My bike came with a wheel weight on the front wheel but the last three front tires have needed nothing. My rear wheel is out by an ounce it seems like one of the three spokes it light. Usually I leave the weight on, change the tire and then check it. Last time I had to add another 1/2 oz to the light spot. (BT016)

Doing my own static balance seems to work well. The only time I had a vibration was with a worn out BT016 on the rear it started shaking after running 150mph

Talked to a guy with a 929 who tried aluminum bar end weights and took them off. He said it ruined the feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.