Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm about to order a Battlax s21 rear tire for my SC28. Thing is, there are different versions, supposedly different OE tires for different manufacturers, with different prices. I thought a tire model in a size and speed rating was a tire, and that was it...

There is a G spec option for $157 USD, a J Spec for $140 USD, and a "Standard" version for $115 usd. Is there actually any difference in the tire tread design and compound? Why the different versions?

• G Spec: OE tire for Suzuki GSX-S750
  • J Spec: OE tire for Yamaha R6
  • M Spec: OE tire for the Honda CB1000R
I

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,352 Posts
Taken from Revzilla -

What do the B, C, E, etc. after the tire size mean?

If you see a letter and number combo listed after a tire size, that is a tire “service description.” Service descriptions all have a load and speed index, which are easily converted from a number of commonly available tables.
There is also additional, optional information you may see which can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. It’s sometimes information that the tire producer gives to further clarify what the tire belongs on, or what job the tire was designed to do. It may indicate a slightly different version of a tire that is made specifically for a certain new model of bike, at the motorcycle manufacturer's request.
What do the B, C, E, etc. after the tire size mean?
If you see a letter and number combo listed after a tire size, that is a tire “service description.” Service descriptions all have a load and speed index, which are easily converted from a number of commonly available tables.

There is also additional, optional information you may see which can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. It’s sometimes information that the tire producer gives to further clarify what the tire belongs on, or what job the tire was designed to do. It may indicate a slightly different version of a tire that is made specifically for a certain new model of bike, at the motorcycle manufacturer's request. Michelin Pilot Road 3 Tires are a good example of this. The “B” service description denotes a tire with extra sidewall stiffeners added.

I remember back in the day, the 16" OEM Bridgestone Battlax was a "G", and that Honda requested that spec tire specifically for the OEM application of the 900. There were other Battlax 16" tires with different specs (tread design, compound, speed rating, sidewall stiffness, etc), but the one out of the factory was a G. I never replaced it as I had a 17" front rim since day one, and used the best, stickiest tires I could afford.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts