Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an extra key,my old one broke and I went to three motorcycle dealers with my ignition in my hand. They looked at the code on the back and made a key....none of the keys would work based off the code.Can anyone tell me what can I do?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had the same thing happen the other day, and I brought it to a locksmith. The only thing I didn't like was I did not get a key with the rubber covering on it, just a plain metal key. It does work! Good luck!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had one made this past weekend. As long as they have the blank they'll be able to do it. You may want to order a blank from the dealer and bring it to a locksmith.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Yeah, get a blank from the Honda dealer and take it to a good locksmith. The hardware store/Home Depot places may not cut it properly...mine didn't. It's a long key and not all places can do it right. My Honda dealer still doesn't have the machine to cut Honda keys from the code. I found another one farther away that can. Good luck!

·
Registered
435 Posts
At one point in the key it's cut to where it is real narrow making it easy to bend.  I have a tail eliminator with a lock relocator that gets a little sticky at times (bad design haven't got around to modifying it yet) that makes it vulnerable to breaking or bending as in my case.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
gautamde : How do you break an ignition key  
As Cliff said, they bend really easily. My gas cap was sticking and in trying to open it, I bent a key. I was surprised and disappointed at just how easily it bent.

·
Registered
224 Posts
One of the first things I did was order a blank key and have it cut by a real locksmith. Now if I can only remember where I put the damn thing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot fellas thats what I'll do.I broke the key with a sticky gas cap but I see in dennis kirk they sell gas caps with no keys needed...has anyone ever used them???

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I got 2 keys with my last bike purchase and when I had the 929,same thing. Am I missing something here

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
nomad : Quote (gautamde @ June 12 2003, 9:58am)How do you break an ignition key  
Openin' a bottle of Bud.  
You can find me in the club, bottle full of bub
Look mami I got the X if you into taking drugs
I'm into having sex, I ain't into making love
So come give me a hug if you into to getting rubbed

·
Registered
682 Posts
Each time I purchase a bike I put one key in the Safety Deposit box, go to a locksmith & have him make TWO copies. One I carry in my wallet & other is hung on the wall at home. Simpy a matter of never being cought with my pants down.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Dealer should have blanks with rubber head, take it to a locksmith.

They do make and sell graphite to put in keyholes. The graphite is a powder but they also have a liquid lubricant for locks. I use the graphite powder and it really works wonders on sticking locks. Got it from Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The locksmith gave me two keys that fit perfect for $20...I'm in heaven.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts