Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone observed bearing failure of the clutch or other clutch failures around 20k miles?

I have a new clutch assy. to replace the original with, but would like to know EXACTLY what the problem may be, versus the 'shotgun approach'. Intentions are to check plate wear, flywheel warpage, and throwout bearing wear. Any other recommendations or similar occurances?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are wondering how I know its the clutch - by simply engaging the clutch and the chatter subsides. As long as the bike is in gear (w/ clutch disengaged), there is no chatter. I used my 'engine stethoscope' to listen to the engine (while in Neutral) and noted the loud chattering noise was imminating from the clutch cover (right side).

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine does the same isn't that normal or should it be quite just like when the clutch is engage (it only has 4k on it)

My friends gixxer does the same, if it makes you feel any better.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keith - as stated in the Title, this is more than the standard clutch noise heard on all Honda sportbikes. The sound makes me think the throwout bearing is going bad. I already have the case cover off, I just havent had a moment to pull the plates out and inspect everything. Since I am at work right now and I plan on inspecting this afternoon - I thought I would get everyones opinion and see what the consensus determined, possibly sending me straight to the problem and not going the slow route of finding the problem myself.

·
Registered
276 Posts
googolplexu : Keith - as stated in the Title, this is more than the standard clutch noise heard on all Honda sportbikes.  The sound makes me think the throwout bearing is going bad.  I already have the case cover off, I just havent had a moment to pull the plates out and inspect everything.  Since I am at work right now and I plan on inspecting this afternoon - I thought I would get everyones opinion and see what the consensus determined, possibly sending me straight to the problem and not going the slow route of finding the problem myself.
if you use a steth-o-scope it would sound like the engine is flying apart. The normal clutch-out-in-natural noise quite loud enough to hear with the naked ear on both 929's I've owned. It's not nearly as loud on the wife's honda cbr600F4i.

Are you using the best oil available?

bW

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure what you consider 'the best', but I deem Amsoil to be the 'the best' and that is what I use.

I disassembled everything last night and noted very minimal wear on the discs and plates, no warping at all and the judder springs look fine. Everything was reassembled and I decided to check the smoothness of the 'clutch lifter pin' within the bearing race - it feels fairly notchy (doesnt rotate smoothly within the race). Next plan is to install a spare clutch lifter pin and thowout bearing I have, and see if it is any smoother in comparison. I will update the 'thread' with my findings this evening.

·
Registered
59 Posts
DID it fix problem? I have close to same thing, it sounds like a rattle or like a grinding alone with a chain cracking! And when you pull clutch lever in the noise goes away! I took clutch basket out and everything looked fine but there is a little drag on the lifter bearing when you spin it on ur fingers could that be the soure of the noise?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
DID it fix problem? I have close to same thing, it sounds like a rattle or like a grinding alone with a chain cracking! And when you pull clutch lever in the noise goes away! I took clutch basket out and everything looked fine but there is a little drag on the lifter bearing when you spin it on ur fingers could that be the soure of the noise?

When you pulled the basket were the damper springs in the back of the primary gear loose?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts