Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after adjusting my clutch cable for a couple weeks ive decided this clutch slip has to be the friction plates. So I order a set of plates and springs, for my "1993" cbr 900. After a week of bullsh!t excuses from my local supplier as to why they were shipping so slow, I get the kit. I do the job, old friction plates not visibly really worn, but there were ten friction plates in the bike!!! Yes, two plates on each other without a metal plate in between. So yeah I pull the bike out, excited to finally get some power out of it for the first time since I bought it, but I lean over the side to adjust the clutch, and something catches my eye, the CC stamp on the engine...919cc. Yep, my 93 frame has a much newer engine in it, good news, but also terrible. Just put the wrong plates in. Try em anyway shifts so smooth, clutch lever feels so much better, now it slips more than ever. What the f*ck is wrong, please I beg someone to help me. And I doubt its the clutch plates, they cant be that off, can they? And the old plates didnt even look that worn.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I looked on Bike Bandit, and the part numbers for the clutch for the 919 engine are different from the 893cc engine, so there could be a slight thickness difference between the two types of engines, causing the slip. You should also check the spring lengths. One other thing is check the basket for grooves where the friction plates touch. If there are big grooves, then it might prevent the plates from fully contacting each other. If I were you, I would get the right clutch disk set for that engine, and go from there. (and replace the springs if they seem to short.) For oil, never use an automotive oil with friction reducing additives, as these will make your clutch slip. A clutch is fairly basic, so I'm sure it's either getting the right disks, and/or replacing the springs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I definitely soaked them. I have a manual for the 919 models by chance, and I need to know which year the engine is, 96-97 or 98-99, because even those clutches are apparently very different. I have the engine identification number but I cant find any site that would tell me which year it was made. I found 10 clutch friction plates inside when i did the job and would love to know why, as far as i can tell 96-97 have 9 plates and 98-99 have 8. This confuses me so much and I cant stand having a bike that wont push past 70mph or accellerate above 5k revs. I know the plates i have in right now are for 93, yeah, but theres something else, I know it. In the manual it says something about using the shallow slots in the outer basket for the last plates, but the diagrams and pictures dont fully explain that situation, I can make sense of it but I might be misunderstanding what it means. Anybody have any specific experience with the set up of a 919 clutch? I would be forever indebted to you.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Yes I definitely soaked them. I have a manual for the 919 models by chance, and I need to know which year the engine is, 96-97 or 98-99, because even those clutches are apparently very different. I have the engine identification number but I cant find any site that would tell me which year it was made. I found 10 clutch friction plates inside when i did the job and would love to know why, as far as i can tell 96-97 have 9 plates and 98-99 have 8. This confuses me so much and I cant stand having a bike that wont push past 70mph or accellerate above 5k revs. I know the plates i have in right now are for 93, yeah, but theres something else, I know it. In the manual it says something about using the shallow slots in the outer basket for the last plates, but the diagrams and pictures dont fully explain that situation, I can make sense of it but I might be misunderstanding what it means. Anybody have any specific experience with the set up of a 919 clutch? I would be forever indebted to you.
when you put all the plates in the teeth slide into the same groove all the way into the basket. The last outermost plate will slide into a different slot that is only one plate deep.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im an idiot, and thats exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you so much, tomorrow Ill put the plate in the right grove and see if I get any difference. My fingers are crossed!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK well Im pretty sure my engine is the 96-97 because of the ten clutch plates, so because those two plates were touching when i first checked I guess someone lost track of one of the metal ones. I'll get one of those and that might be the fix itself, but unfortunately I broke off one of the spring bolts trying to take the pressure plate off, I think its too small to drill through so I need a new inner clutch basket and a bolt+washer. I hate how nothing ever goes right. You have no clue how happy I would be if this clutch would stop slipping.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The 2 friction plates together would definitely give you a problem. For future reference, when tightening the spring bolts, use a 1/4" ratchet and just snug them. Also just for reference, I have never put last friction in the odd slot of clutch basket and have never had a problem with slippage. I'd recommend getting some Barnett springs, too. They are alot better than stock. For friction and steel plates, nothing but OEM. Make sure you put the friction with larger ID in first. It's larger so it can fit over judder spring. When installing clutch, I have a small Rubbermaid bowl that I fill with oil and just dip them in it and install.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've broken off bolts before on my engine case. Get a dremel with a really fine grinding bit, like something a dentist would use, and cut a slot in the end for a flat head screw driver. Has worked several times for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's just that these ridiculous unorthodox situations happen to me and only me. Like, who the hell takes a metal clutch plate out and just loses it, not bothering to replace it before selling it to someone. I couldve just bought an extra plate if thats all I needed, but now Ive wasted money on foolish errors of mine, 80 on a 93 clutch, and now I have to replace the clutch center, which will be another 80, because of a stupid little bolt that broke. Just to reassure myself something else wont go wrong, I might just get an entire replacement assembly, new steels, frictions, springs, inner basket.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've broken off bolts before on my engine case. Get a dremel with a really fine grinding bit, like something a dentist would use, and cut a slot in the end for a flat head screw driver. Has worked several times for me.
Such an awesome idea, just got the rest of that bolt out by vibrating it and twisting slowly with a dremel engraver, saved me quite a few bucks.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Those 2 fibers against each other had to grinding each other silly. If it were me, I would drop the pan and check the pickup screen for clutch material. I would also change oil, run it a few miles then change it again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sounds like a good idea, I can't wait to get some torque and power out of this machine but I don't even know how it'll hold up, 93 RR with a 98 body and 97 engine? And I just realized the clip ons are more uncomfortable than my 600r cat because theyre aftermarket clip ons that dont curve up to flush with the triple tree clamp thing like OEM are supposed to. That triple tree clamp also has an aftermarket name on it too I think, maybe previous front end damage? Either this bike was laid down, or was several stolen bikes patched up terribly into one at a chop shop. FML $2000 later. Ill make the best of it though.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If 2K is all you have in it, you're still doing good. I have a couple buddies that had their basket and pressure plate milled to accept an extra set of steels/fibers but have never heard of 2 fibers together.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The idea of the bike being raced doesnt seem impossible, Id like that more than it having been crashed or stolen before. I'm still waiting on my 9th steel plate to ship in with new springs and friction plates, the correct ones this time. Hopefully this is all the fix requires!

Also, would anyone have the dimensions of the windscreen stay bars for a 93 or 98? because of the 93 frame, 98 body difference, I want to try and fabricate my own possibly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I found out what this latest grinding noise is. Somehow the case near the front sproket cracked a little. I have no clue how this happened, maybe the transmission working too hard against the clutch?

http://itookthisonmyphone.com/media/fef42331-b9a1-460c-ab95-c53f816f2406/02b58a79-d2ea-42af-92f5-f96e551afd79_568x454r0.jpg

The ninth steel plate didnt do anything, the clutch lifter piece has way too much free movement with the ten plates in, so the motor is probably a 98?

Regardless, this isnt important now.

Is the engine salvagable with possible burnt up and/or bent parts inside the transmission?
Should I just buy a new engine?
Or should I try to sell/part out the bike as is?
Could I get the 2000 back in parts?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts