Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been doing a lot of online ordering recently, and this pops into my in-box:

Continuous Monitoring is an integral part of Bank of America's multiple layers of security. In addition to other fraud monitoring tools, we can often spot fraud based upon transactions on the card that are outside of cardholders typical purchasing pattern. This allows us to spot fraudulent activity as quickly as possible and acts as an early-warning system to identify fraudulent activity.

During a recent checkout we detected suspicious activity and your Card may have been compromised. Fraudulent activity made it necessary to limit your card for online services. Conform to our security requirements and in order to continue online services with your card, we must validate your identity. Please use our link below to proceed.

https://militarybankonline.bankofamerica.com/efs/servlet/military/login.jsp

Bank of America takes online security very seriously so that you can shop safely on the Internet. As part of our commitment to fighting fraud we have the right to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, or violations of the terms and conditions for using Bank of America U.S.A.

© Copyright 1996-2006, Bank of America U.S.A Service Association. All Rights Reserved.

So I'm about to leave for the day, and this pops in, so I go through the process of giving away ALL MY PERSONAL BANKING INFORMATION, before I realize the web address looks 'phishy', and then color me red, I'm on the phone with B of A turning my card off, and changing my online 'log-in' information....

:rant: :rant: :rant:

So, I feel like an ignoramus. Anything else I should be looking for? No social sec info or address info was given.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Wow, I thought only old ladies fell for that gimmick. :poke:

I'd recommend coughing up the cash for credit report monitoring with the big three (Experian, TRW, and whatever the third one is called. I forget.)

Even with just your name and address, it's pretty easy to find out all the other stuff. You can track down people with just a phone number. The monitoring will help make sure accounts you don't know about aren't being opened.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I thought only old ladies fell for that gimmick. :poke:

I'd recommend coughing up the cash for credit report monitoring with the big three (Experian, TRW, and whatever the third one is called. I forget.)

Even with just your name and address, it's pretty easy to find out all the other stuff. You can track down people with just a phone number. The monitoring will help make sure accounts you don't know about aren't being opened.
Yeah, me too. Never in a thousand years did I think I'd fall for that crap. Pretty tired towards the end of the day these days, obviously not at my sharpest.

I've got that protection/ monitoring thing on one of my cards...we'll see if it works.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But they have your personal info...that's easily enough to do damage.
You know ND, this one was pretty streamlined. Login and password, then another screen with card number and 3-digit verification, and PIN#, (at the time, it didn't tip me off, now it looks obvious).

Hindsight 20/20 :(

I can't believe how authentic looking the website was, until I took some tags off the back of the address, and connected into a malaysia web-ring. :rant:

It's okay to laugh at my expense...

·
Banned
4,696 Posts
:eek: that sucks paypal called me yesterday after i made a purchase i gave them no info over the phone they just asked me if it was indeed me using it i guess the gov network sent up a flag on their end

·
Registered
637 Posts
Neat. I always login through the intended companies website to "verify" any garbage sent to me.
I've been getting occasional but consistent calls on my CID from a couple numbers, occasionally unidentified. One time a woman left a message for me to call her business back with a "reference number", but left no business name. The stated number and the CID number weren't able to be reverse-checked. My criteria for returning calls has become much more stringent as I'm not interested in providing anyone any confirming information about my number.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Fucking SCAMMERS DIE!

My Dad was called by an operator who identified themselves as Sam's Club trying to get him to renew his membership.

He almost did, but got a bad feeling and didn't do it. He called Sam's Club the next day and told that scam has been in full swing lately.

Just dodged that bullet....

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
:eek: that sucks paypal called me yesterday after i made a purchase i gave them no info over the phone they just asked me if it was indeed me using it i guess the gov network sent up a flag on their end
Even then tell them "you could be anyone, I will call you on the official number". If they complain they are thieves, otherwise they will thank you. I did it once because I had charges on both coasts 1 day apart (emergency trips for work) which raised flags. Had a message on the machine to call 1-800 something not on the card. I thought yea right, called the regular number. They said yep that other number is our fraud number but here I will connect you to them. They guy in fraud actually thanked me and said he wished everyone was that way.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sorry to hear. Part of my job is blocking those kinds of messaages and I have seen all kinds of those fake sites and have to admit many of them look quite convincing. Just remember: No financial institution / insurance company, etc.....will EVER ask you via e-mail to submit personal information about you through the web unless maybe its to take an anonymous customer feedback survey or something.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
If I get an early warning off the protection/ monitoring thing I have on my cards, I'll definately jump to it.

By the way, When did you get "all red an' sh**?":rotfl:
I figured the best way to finally get your shirt design passed was to become one of them.:eyebrows:

The credit monitoring isn't for the cards you have, it's for the ones you don't know you have. If an ID thief opens an account in your name with your info, you won't have any other advance notice something is wrong unless you stay on top of your credit report. At a minimum, I'd check the report twice a year.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I bet it was the BakoBoyz.
LOL, I saw a Bakoboyz sticker on an SUV being piloted by a soccer mom up in Pasadena a few weeks ago.

I had to fight a strong compulsion to go cut her off. ;)

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I figured the best way to finally get your shirt design passed was to become one of them.:eyebrows:
:rotfl: :clap:

The credit monitoring isn't for the cards you have, it's for the ones you don't know you have. If an ID thief opens an account in your name with your info, you won't have any other advance notice something is wrong unless you stay on top of your credit report. At a minimum, I'd check the report twice a year.
I'm sorry, it's a service that gets billed to one of my cards, that gives me the three printouts whenever I want, and alerts of any suspicious activity, and verifies hits on my CR.

I just hope it doesn't activate and get to that point....

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I'm sorry, it's a service that gets billed to one of my cards, that gives me the three printouts whenever I want, and alerts of any suspicious activity, and verifies hits on my CR.

I just hope it doesn't activate and get to that point....
Aha. I see. You already have it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts