Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So someone either tried to steal my bike last night or thought it would be a good idea to get on it and drop it. I get home last night to find my bike facing the wrong way and with one of the mirrors broken on the ground. I tried to start it and the battery was dead...which is weird and it was slightly warm like someone had taken it on a short ride. Thank god, i had frame slides on it cause they took most of the damage and the only thing ****ed up is the mirror and some very minor scratches on the bottom. I'm sooo pissed though!!:chainsaw:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Help me out here; (a college grad myself) I have trouble seeing what any of your rant about your situation with your motorcycle has to do with "college students" in general. Sorry you are having troubles bro...:idunno:

·
Banned
20 Posts
If someone took it for a ride, then they have a key.

not true u dont need a key to get a bike goin, ignitions on a bike are easy as pie to wire, its :censored: up but it can be done in around 5 minutes if you kno what ur doin, ur bike prob was ridden if it was warm, idk y the battery would be dead tho, goodluck tho bro, that sucks:smilierr:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yeah; a key isn't always necessary. It is why all the Euro/Oz bikes got the immobilizers from the factory... And all the newer american bikes now have them.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
While that is true, you WILL see signs of tampering. No key means you need access to the wiring. What person is going to spend the time not to disturb anything compared to the quick and dirty method? They have a key!

HISS really does nothing but help insurance rates. How does it keep your bike from being stolen? All it takes is two guys and truck and it's gone in under 30 seconds. They are going to part it out, so the ignition and the ECU are worthless to them, the rest of the bike is worth something.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
A couple of years ago my bike was stolen out of my back yard. I found it the next day a couple of blocks away. Both sides were trashed. Blinkers and mirrors broke off, clip-ons bent and plastics tore up. Also my ignition wires were tore out of the conduit and twisted together and the battery was dead. After looking a wiring digram I see that it would be really easy to hot wire a bike. But unlocking the steering I would think would be next to imposable without tremendous force or a key. I lock my steering everywhere after having my bike taken. So if I found my bike in that condition I would check the steering lock and then hunt down every key for that ignition. my :twocents:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
HISS really does nothing but help insurance rates. How does it keep your bike from being stolen? All it takes is two guys and truck and it's gone in under 30 seconds. They are going to part it out, so the ignition and the ECU are worthless to them, the rest of the bike is worth something.
Well the fact plenty of thefts are joyriders - it certainly stops them.
Having HISS has saved my bike, someone tried to hotwire it after breaking into my locked garage.

So while it wont stop a thief who is after parts (or has access to a new ecu) it will stop some potential bike-nabbers.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
They are going to part it out, so the ignition and the ECU are worthless to them...
They would be worth a lot to them if they could steal just one bike with a key (or just buy the bits off Ebay). Then they have a key, ignition barrel, HISS sensor and matching ECU for that model bike. Easy enough to carry in a pocket, plug in the four plugs and ride away.
Don't know if this is happening at all but I certainly wouldn't consider HISS to be an anti-theft device. The simple steering lock is probably more of a deterent.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
As with any secondhand vehicle it's always possible a previous owner or their "friends" might have a spare key for it.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Does the 954RR have the short key or the long key? There weren’t too many variations of the short key. The long key is a different story. The short key had a letter and then a two-digit number. The long key has a key code that is much longer than three digits.

They would be worth a lot to them if they could steal just one bike with a key (or just buy the bits off Ebay). Then they have a key, ignition barrel, HISS sensor and matching ECU for that model bike. Easy enough to carry in a pocket, plug in the four plugs and ride away.
Don't know if this is happening at all but I certainly wouldn't consider HISS to be an anti-theft device. The simple steering lock is probably more of a deterent.
They could just as easily buy an ECU that doesn’t have HISS do a wiring conversion kit so that they could use the new ECU with the existing HISS wiring.

By the time they do all that, two guys and a truck would be long down the road.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
They could just as easily buy an ECU that doesn’t have HISS do a wiring conversion kit so that they could use the new ECU with the existing HISS wiring.

How difficult is this to do though?
If I can do this then that would be an easy fix for the 1000RR race bike I'm building. Is it as simple as removing the HISS pins from the harness plug to the ECU?
BTW - is it a common mod to disconnect the lower injectors? Lifted the tank and discovered all four lower plugs were off. I can't believe it was actually run this way but anything's possible :)
I think the bike was stripped for parts while it was at the shop getting quotes before being written off as other odd bits are missing.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
The US bikes don’t have HISS. So the ECU doesn’t support and the wiring is different as would the ignition lock. You can do the conversion; you just need the US parts. Another option would be to use the HRC ECU and harness, which won’t have HISS either. You could possibly use the same ignition lock.
The second set of injectors kick in at higher RPM’s, so your bike probably ran a little lean at higher revs.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I'm looking for a US ECU and full harness to get around the missing HISS but I will look at the HISS bits to see how I can disable it. If somebody can come up with an easy crack maybe Honda will stop putting their touring bike crap on our sports bikes :)

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Help me out here; (a college grad myself) I have trouble seeing what any of your rant about your situation with your motorcycle has to do with "college students" in general. Sorry you are having troubles bro...:idunno:
Maybe he thinks they are the only ones smart (dumb)enough to take it and then return it.:idunno:

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
I'm looking for a US ECU and full harness to get around the missing HISS but I will look at the HISS bits to see how I can disable it. If somebody can come up with an easy crack maybe Honda will stop putting their touring bike crap on our sports bikes :)
The only way around HISS is to put the chip in the key in the cylinder lock.

Honda installs it to reduce your insurance rates.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts