Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone besides me remember reading that the 95/96 F3 had a different shock linkage rate than the F2? And then the 97/98 F3 went back to the F2s rate. Also I read when the F3 came out and I quote "the F3 has a 5" wide rear wheel so racers can use the 180 series tire" unquote. But all you hear is 5.5" is the proper wheel for the 180.

Now some people might say theres no way Honda would go backward on a the new model with that linkage rate but.........Remember Mick Doohan in 94. He was running up front but couldve been better. So guess what they did? Went back to his 92 suspension parts and settings. Results were a winning streak like no ones seen in years on his way to his first of 5 championships in a row.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Back in the days, I would never have put more then a 170 on the F3 wheel but a lot of people are adding the 180 with no issues. What do you run on your track bike? I ran 160 and did fine with it...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran the Bridgestone slick, I think it was 165 on my 4.5in wide F2 wheel. Which is what is supposed to be. But Im gonna do the 180 on my F3 wheel if I ever get back to the track. I believe 160 race tires are gonna be harder and harder to find in the future, just like 16in race tires for the front of the 900 are.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I believe 160 race tires are gonna be harder and harder to find in the future, just like 16in race tires for the front of the 900 are.
You think? There are so many lower displacement race groups. What tires would these 250, sv650's and such be able to use if the 160 group is neutralized? Well I guess the first question I should ask is what size tires are these guys running now.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You think? There are so many lower displacement race groups. What tires would these 250, sv650's and such be able to use if the 160 group is neutralized? Well I guess the first question I should ask is what size tires are these guys running now.
Well maybe not since you put it that way.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Sorry your balloon got busted (on ranting) Frank. But better your balloon than your wallet!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone besides me remember reading that the 95/96 F3 had a different shock linkage rate than the F2? And then the 97/98 F3 went back to the F2s rate.

I found it on another forum, some fella talking about the dog bone was a different length on the 95-96 F3s which also allowed the spring to be different. But I guess it didnt work as well as the previous version so 97-98 got the F2 bone etc etc. back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts