Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My F2 has had some trouble as of late. It has begun getting cold here (NC - maybe mid 40's in the morning) but the bike never seems to come up to operating temp no matter how long I ride it for. It's always a hair above the first tick mark above C, never really moves. Down low, it seems to sputter and buck far more than it did in the summer time. Is this common? Do I need to do a retune for the colder temps? To me, it feels like it's overrichening the mix, but I'm a car guy and this is my first bike... so I may be way off ;) Many thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also have a F2, and my bike was overheating right after I started it. I called around for a new thermostat and couldn't get one that day. I talked to a guy that sets up track bikes, he told me to take it out and gut it. Doing this will increase your warm up time. With a gutted thermostat my bike stays so much cooler. I would say that either your thermostat has been gutted, or it's stuck wide open. This will cause it to sputter if it's not fully warmed up. In colder temps, it takes a whole lot more to get it to a decent temp. Cold temps, plus constant cold anti-freeze flow through the motor, will make a bike sputter and run like crap.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
If the thermostat is working correctly, I would look at blocking off some of the radiator and the oil cooler. The oil is probably not getting up to temp as the cool temps is just pulling out all of the heat and it is keeping the motor cool.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts