Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bent a rod on my f2, 34k miles po was a pos and didn't take care of this bike. anwyways, bought a new motor and it ran perfectly for 300 bucks except for it pops from 2nd back down to neutral... sounds like a worn dog to me but also looking for other opinions. I still have my spare motor that has a good tranny but bad lower end, can i just go ahead and rip apart both motors to create a super working motor lol

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
So i bent a rod on my f2, 34k miles po was a pos and didn't take care of this bike. anwyways, bought a new motor and it ran perfectly for 300 bucks except for it pops from 2nd back down to neutral... sounds like a worn dog to me but also looking for other opinions. I still have my spare motor that has a good tranny but bad lower end, can i just go ahead and rip apart both motors to create a super working motor lol

Sounds like dogs to me.
Yep, you can swap the transmissions over.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
whats a dog?

Each gear has three of four dogs or slots on it. Both transmission shafts are always engaged and spinning (which is why you don't need to use the clutch to change gears). When you change gears all you are doing is sliding the gears along the spinning shafts. The dogs and slots of the currently-engaged gear seperate and the dogs and slots of the new gear lock together. Poor engine maintenance and gear shifting results in the corners of the dogs and slots rounding off, or even breaking completely. When the two gears meet they tend to bounce apart instead of locking together. When they're really worn they no longer stay locked together and work their way apart until they pop out into a false neutral. Undercutting the dogs and slots entails grinding them to a reverse angle so when they meet they pull each other together and they stay locked together. The more load on them the better they stay together.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Could be his shift forks are bent or worn and are not shifting the gear all the way in.

I thought my 929 transmission was shot too when it was missing shifts... until I opened it up and everything was litterally in perfect condition with the micrometer messurements.... turned out all I needed was a factory pro shift kit.

You never know... open it up before you go buying parts you might not need.

here's the how to: http://www.fireblades.org/forums/ar...ift-kit-install-clutch-tranny-assessment.html

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Could be his shift forks are bent or worn and are not shifting the gear all the way in.

I thought my 929 transmission was shot too when it was missing shifts... until I opened it up and everything was litterally in perfect condition with the micrometer messurements.... turned out all I needed was a factory pro shift kit.

You never know... open it up before you go buying parts you might not need.

here's the how to: http://www.fireblades.org/forums/ar...ift-kit-install-clutch-tranny-assessment.html

Certainly it could be bent forks, which does lead to worn dogs due to the poor engagement.
Always determine what is worn or damaged before buying parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts