Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well my F3 sat last winter in the garage with water and water wetter in the cooling system. Apparently it got below freezing. I went to change the oil and all hell broke loose. Oil, water, water wetter all came flowing out the oil drain like no other. So my question to you is, what went wrong? I realize the water/water wetter must've froze and expanded and busted something. I am wanting to know if anyone has ideas on what to look at first. I have no idea. A seal somewhere or the case cracked...I dont really know. Just need to start tearing her down but Im lost. Advice would be of much help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't know firsthand about bikes, but when that happens to automotive engines, it cracks the block from inside the water jackets, generally rendering it into scrap metal. Probably time to look for another motor.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Yep, the block is cracked. Water and water wetter does not provide against freezing. You need to start looking for a new engine.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I tore it down last night. Pulled the head off and all the other prerequisites and didnt find a thing. I really wasn't expecting to given that it could be a very small crack. Well that sucks. Ive had my F3 since 2000, right around graduation, as my first bike. I think Im gonna part it out and try to buy me a F4i track bike. Gotta move on at some point. I can't handle carbs. Ive had problems with the carbs on the F3 for years.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Hope you learned not to use water and water wetter during the winter. if you are in a freeze zone, it is a no no. Indianapolis is without a doubt in a freeze zone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts