Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this site so give me a break. I have two CBR 600F4s. One was a primary bike and the other I used as a parts bike because it was wrecked. I stripped one of the spark plug threads on my primary bike, so I decided, instead of repairing the threads, to use the head from the wrecked bike and put everything back together. I now have a clanking sound coming from the head. It sounds like metal to metal. It makes the noise whether it's in gear or not, clutch in or out. When the motor is idling is sounds fine and runs smooth, but when I rev the engine, I hear the clanking noise.

I've opened the valve cover to check for loose parts, but no luck. In my manual, it says to align the crank shaft timing mark to the T but the manual diagram shows it past the T. I went by the diagram. Is anyone familiar with setting the timing on an F4?

Also, I know people have a lot of trouble with the CCT. I've tried using both of them and they seem fine. I've checked the timing chain guides. Oil levels are fine. I've manually turned the motor over with no abnormal resistance.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Could it be the valve clearance? It wasn't making this noise before I switched the heads. I'm at a loss as to what it could be.:idunno:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I'm new to this site so give me a break. I have two CBR 600F4s. One was a primary bike and the other I used as a parts bike because it was wrecked. I stripped one of the spark plug threads on my primary bike, so I decided, instead of repairing the threads, to use the head from the wrecked bike and put everything back together. I now have a clanking sound coming from the head. It sounds like metal to metal. It makes the noise whether it's in gear or not, clutch in or out. When the motor is idling is sounds fine and runs smooth, but when I rev the engine, I hear the clanking noise.

I've opened the valve cover to check for loose parts, but no luck. In my manual, it says to align the crank shaft timing mark to the T but the manual diagram shows it past the T. I went by the diagram. Is anyone familiar with setting the timing on an F4?

Also, I know people have a lot of trouble with the CCT. I've tried using both of them and they seem fine. I've checked the timing chain guides. Oil levels are fine. I've manually turned the motor over with no abnormal resistance.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Could it be the valve clearance? It wasn't making this noise before I switched the heads. I'm at a loss as to what it could be.:idunno:

Put a probe down the spark plug hole of #1 cylinder and check the cam timing with the piston at TDC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i did that and it turned out to be 180 out on the wrong stroke. i think some valves got damage with the timing backwards. i might have to repair the plug wells on the other head after all....or maybe look into a new head

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
i did that and it turned out to be 180 out on the wrong stroke. i think some valves got damage with the timing backwards. i might have to repair the plug wells on the other head after all....or maybe look into a new head
if you decide to go after a new head let me know. i can find you one for pretty cheap. most of them are off of wrecked bikes and include everything needed for bolt up. good luck man and sorry to hear the bad news.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

Pull the valve cover and measure the valve clearances.
Any bent valves will have very wide clearances.
I would just Helicoil the plug threads on the original head.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i went ahead ant took the old head to the machine shop to be re-threaded. only costed me 40 bucks but now im afraid i might set the timing wrong again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts