Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I picked up an f4i but the fan wont turn on any advise on how to trouble shoot this problem would be great thanks! and at what temp is the fan supposed to kick on at?? thanks

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Check to see if the fan can freely spin (Do not start - just spin her with your hand), make sure she is getting power (if yes could be the switch)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Key on, unplug the wire from the temp switch and ground it, if the fan comes on, everything is tested as good except for the switch. The easiest way to test that, IMHO, is with a laser thermometer, crank the bike, take it for a ride to warm it up, then bring it back and let it idle till the temp gets above the switch "on" temp, either the fan should come on, or you can POWER a test light and see if it gives you ground at the switch terminal with the wire disconnected. :cool:

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Basically what Rick said, you need to give it a seperate feed to test the motor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Honda CBR 600 f4i 2005 the fan was working fine but one day didn't work. I change the fan and the relay but the fan wont turn on. I check the electric continuity and have electric power and the negative is working too. Which is the maximun temp that could raise to turn it on? Any advise on how to trouble shoot this problem would be great thanks!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have a Honda CBR 600 f4i 2005 the fan was working fine but one day didn't work. I change the fan and the relay but the fan wont turn on. I check the electric continuity and have electric power and the negative is working too. Which is the maximun temp that could raise to turn it on? Any advise on how to trouble shoot this problem would be great thanks!
This thread is super old but I have an F4i and my fan doesn't turn on until 225 degrees F.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

The fan comes on just past boiling point.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just bypass it and have it direct like i do, i have mine with a kill switch after the bike is warmed up i turn on the fan.. never had any problems like that

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
This thread is super old but I have an F4i and my fan doesn't turn on until 225 degrees F.
That's about normal. On my F4i, the fan never used to come on until about 103 or 104. You can always wire up a switch in PARALLEL to the wires on there to switch it on manually if you get stuck in traffic.

edit: From stunt-life forums:

Find the wire that goes to the thermostat on the radiator. You will know it is the wire if you pull it out of the thermostat and ground it and the fan comes on (of course the ignition has to be on). Take a scotchlock to tap into this wire and run it to one side of a SPST switch and run the wire on the other end of the switch to any ground. This way with the switch on, the fan will be always on and if the switch is off it will run like stock and you will not forget and overheat your bike just riding around.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
That's about normal. On my F4i, the fan never used to come on until about 103 or 104. You can always wire up a switch in PARALLEL to the wires on there to switch it on manually if you get stuck in traffic.

edit: From stunt-life forums:

Find the wire that goes to the thermostat on the radiator. You will know it is the wire if you pull it out of the thermostat and ground it and the fan comes on (of course the ignition has to be on). Take a scotchlock to tap into this wire and run it to one side of a SPST switch and run the wire on the other end of the switch to any ground. This way with the switch on, the fan will be always on and if the switch is off it will run like stock and you will not forget and overheat your bike just riding around.
I thought about doing something like that. Normally traffic isn't too bad unless it's rush hour when everyone is heading home. Thanks Sky :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts