Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try one of the "standard" kits or the EVO-7 shifter star models?

Good, bad, other?

Best price?

Install issues?

My 2001 929 has become a bit of a finicky shifter in the 3rd to 4th and 5th to 6th shift. Always goes in, never dropped out, but it just doesn't feel like the Honda tranny's I am normally used to.

Been like that since I bought it stock with 4400 on it, but it seems to be getting a bit worse as time has gone on (now have 13,000) and I am a pretty easy shifter (no clutchless shifts, shifting wheelies, etc.) so it's not from me.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have the kit on the 929. Felt it made a very noticable diffrence. Install is a bit tricky since you have to remove the clutch basket. Any questions, PM me and I'll do my best to answer. I'm happy with it, but I'm not overly sure I'd go through the headache again if I had to do it over again. But thankfully the headache is past and I just get to enjoy it from now on out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Like Sirkbac said, it takes some time and patience to install. Especially realigning the teeth on the motor and the clutch basket! But once installed the shifting is more positive. You'll never miss a gear, not even on the 1-2 shift either. However, the only negative and it really isn't that big of deal is the increased difficulty of finding neutral. No more slipping into neutral when shifting means that coming to lights can be an exercise in patients in finding neutral. Rubber side down!

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
3cRider said:
Like Sirkbac said, it takes some time and patience to install. Especially realigning the teeth on the motor and the clutch basket! But once installed the shifting is more positive. You'll never miss a gear, not even on the 1-2 shift either. However, the only negative and it really isn't that big of deal is the increased difficulty of finding neutral. No more slipping into neutral when shifting means that coming to lights can be an exercise in patients in finding neutral. Rubber side down!
thats an easy one, go to first and hold the clutch in while coming to a stop. I only go to neutral at long lights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts