Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 CBR f4i and it had fallen over in a parking lot while i was gone, i returned a few hours later to find oil over the pavement and my bike down. I filled the oil back in and looked any damage it didnt look to bad but it wouldnt not start. When i turn the key everything primes up fine but when i got to start it just makes a electric pop noise and dosnt even try to turn over. i thought it was the tilt sensor and am looking for ways around it any help would be great, the red light is on the display and the oil light is blinking, thanks!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I have a 2001 CBR f4i and it had fallen over in a parking lot while i was gone, i returned a few hours later to find oil over the pavement and my bike down. I filled the oil back in and looked any damage it didnt look to bad but it wouldnt not start. When i turn the key everything primes up fine but when i got to start it just makes a electric pop noise and dosnt even try to turn over. i thought it was the tilt sensor and am looking for ways around it any help would be great, the red light is on the display and the oil light is blinking, thanks!

Where did the oil come out of?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not sure really, it looked like it come out of the side or top of the engine do you think it has to do with that more then the tilt censor?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
im not sure really, it looked like it come out of the side or top of the engine do you think it has to do with that more then the tilt censor?

Unless the engine was cracked or broken there's no way for oil to come out.
I doubt it is causing the no-start problem though.
How much oil did you put in it?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
i put 3 qts in. you think i should drain all of it and change it?

I would be trying to determine how three quarts of oil came out of your engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just had this happen to my bike. I swerved to miss getting T-Boned by a truck that blew through a stop sign, hit some gravel and went down.

I had the exact same problem and symptoms you do. The cure for me was replacing the battery. Sometimes a hard vibration can damage the plates inside a battery, or knock all of the corrosion off the plates and it settles to the bottom of the battery. The battery still puts out 12v but the cold cranking amps go way down and the bike usually just makes a clicking sound. There are enough amps to fire the solenoid relay but not enough to actually turn the starter and the bike over. This is especially true of the older lead-acid style batteries. The new glass mat style are less prone to this.

I would take the battery to Advanced Auto Parts or other auto parts shop and have the battery tested. Most places will do it for free. My battery was reading 12 V but only 146 cold cranking amps (the correct size new replacement battery for my bike puts out 250 CCA's). I put it on a charger for 24 hours, took it back to the store and it still would only register 156 CCA's

Once I put the new battery in the bike, it fired right up.

Some other things to check while you are looking at the bike after a fall.

Coolant level
Shifter linkage operating freely
Brake and fuel lines have not been bent, pinched or punctured
Throttle and clutch lines moving freely

Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Like Blade was saying I would be ALOT more concerned with the oil all over the pavement. IF you had to put 3qt's then thats not a good sign..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Like Blade was saying I would be ALOT more concerned with the oil all over the pavement. IF you had to put 3qt's then thats not a good sign..
Absolutely Maholli, That is a lot of oil! I was lucky and did not have any l fluid leaks. I would definitely find the source of that oil leak. My reply was aimed at addressing the electrical pop with no starter turn over.

Where is your oil filter located on that bike? Did it get cracked? Hopefully it is something like that rather than the engine block.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Regarding the electrical pop with no turnover, it is usually 1 of 3 things. The battery, the solenoid relay, or the starter. If the battery checks out, you can move to the relay and then the starter. A volt meter will be handy to check and see if you are getting a full 12v to the relay and then to the starter. The fact that your relay is making that electrical popping sound but the starter wont turn over makes me think it is the battery like it was in my bike after a fall. However, the fall could have damaged the relay or knocked some brushes out of whack in starter as well.

It really sucks to come out to a parking lot and find your bike on its side. I hope you are able to get it back up and running with minimal repairs.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Not to mention, a three-litre oil spill is liable to make the papers these days!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Regarding the electrical pop with no turnover, it is usually 1 of 3 things. The battery, the solenoid relay, or the starter. If the battery checks out, you can move to the relay and then the starter. A volt meter will be handy to check and see if you are getting a full 12v to the relay and then to the starter. The fact that your relay is making that electrical popping sound but the starter wont turn over makes me think it is the battery like it was in my bike after a fall. However, the fall could have damaged the relay or knocked some brushes out of whack in starter as well.

It really sucks to come out to a parking lot and find your bike on its side. I hope you are able to get it back up and running with minimal repairs.

Good Luck.
The electrical pop sounds similar to a problem I had after a good jolt (lowside) - my battery at the time was old anyway, so I just ended up replacing it, and that did the trick. Again, echoing what everyone else has been saying - find out the source of your oil leak.

All in all, totally sucks to find your bike on it's side. :( Hope the problems are minor and you are riding again soon! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the help everyone i have a friend with the same model bike and has had some same issues with his bike take a look and we are going to find out where the oil is comin from the battery is also a good place to look i will let you know what we find

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
thanks for all the help everyone i have a friend with the same model bike and has had some same issues with his bike take a look and we are going to find out where the oil is comin from the battery is also a good place to look i will let you know what we find

Just to confirm, there was a pool of oil several feet across?
You didn't check your oil level while the bike was on its side stand?
If you filled the crankcase with three quarts more oil than it should have then that might explain why the engine won't turn over?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts