Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first bike, 1999 Honda VFR 800, and although I have rode a few bikes, and had my license for years, this is the first time I will be riding regularly.

I figured it might be something that could help me down the road.

So, anyone who has ever fallen, maybe give me a brief description of the fall, speed, straightaway or turn, how far you slid, and the resulting damage to you, don't really care about the bike so much.

Can you actually controle anything as you are falling, and if so, what should you be trying to do. Of course I hope that no one is an expert at it, but any tips would be appreciated.

I hear your shoes come off pretty easy. I have some very good quality hiking boots (mid rise just above the ankle). Any comments on shoes would be welcome too.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Advice on falling... don't do it, its highly over rated :).

Gets some good riding boots. I keep a pair of shoes at work so I can change them out when I get there. Falling depends on your situation, so each can be very different.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Simple my friend. ATGATT: All The Gear All The Time. I fixated into a turn got into the run off at about 40 mph and front wheel gave way....slammed onto my left side. I was wearing my knee pads, jacket, helmet, and gloves. I was able to ride the bike home and walked away with my damaged bike and pride. It doesn't matter who you are, your going to drop your bike. The pro's in AMA and MotoGP always crash....what makes us amateurs think we never will? lol

·
Registered
231 Posts
Can you actually controle anything as you are falling
No reset button in the real world buddy. What you can control is learning from your mistakes and applying it to your future rides and giving advice to other noob riders.

·
Registered
53 Posts
my father in law came off his yesterday, damp road, stopping at lights, doing less than 5mph, moving in a straight line. bike just slid out from beneath him. bit bruised today, and bike will need some minor repairs to be mint again.

And hes been riding for over 40 years and has about 10 bikes, so it WILL happen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I know there is no reset button, and I know that all gear should be worn, all the time. I am just wondering if anyone has found a safe technique. I was looking for something more along the lines of "try to stay on your back" or "try to roll" or whatever.

Thanks for the replies though. Keep em coming.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well I know there is no reset button, and I know that all gear should be worn, all the time. I am just wondering if anyone has found a safe technique. I was looking for something more along the lines of "try to stay on your back" or "try to roll" or whatever.

Thanks for the replies though. Keep em coming.
Low side. If you start sliding....don't chop the throttle...in most cases that will end up in a high side.

High side throttle chop

YouTube - ‪Highside Motorcycle Crash on Mulholland‬‏

Low side steady throttle...too much lean angle blah blah blah:rant:

YouTube - ‪CBR1000 Lowside Crash‬‏

All I can say is don't tense up and don't catch your fall...your crashing anyways. If you ever high side, it doesn't matter, your flying.......:idunno:either way just let gravity do its work.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
That second low side crash looks unfortunate, doesnt seem to have done too much wrong there nice and steedy in to the corner I guess there was just to much lean.. You can see the tyres were leaving skid marks or perhaps he was on a un beaded in part of the tyre..

·
Registered
180 Posts
:plus1:

Although sometimes you get a brief slow-mo effect, the sequence of events usually goes from 'oh :censored:' to on your ass very quickly. In my experience there was no time to do anything - or I would have done it!
Sometimes very true, first fall was at 5 mph and I was getting up before I really knew what happend, damn gravel:O but my other two spills I had time to react and there came the point that I realized I was going down regardless and did a quick scan to find the best possible place to eject and try to land :rotfl:then there was the slow mo trip to the ground and it was sky ground sky ground.:crap: Falling is the peaceful part, its landing that gets you every time....damn gravity:nono:

The first real wreak I was being a dumbass after making a u turn trying to catch up to a friends car to meet them where we both were going and she slowed down after I turned around and gunned it to about 60mph.

We're both going to the same place so I figure shes going to keep going....wrong she completly stops so I get on the brakes hard and get it down to about 25-30 when I go to swerve around the car and right as I went to do that the rear tire hit a thumb sized stick and locked up as I had just got the front clear of the car, back end didnt follow of course and the left of the bike hit the back right corner of the car right about where my ankle was which was like a mini highside.

I bailed to the right and cleared the car and did a little tuck and role while the bike kicked around backwards and landed on the right side in the driveway wheels off the ground.

Ended up with a sprained and swolen ankle from it getting smashed between the motorcycle and car, Im lucky it didnt shatter, thank God they arnt doing the metal bumpers anymore:clap:
Now that I actually thought that out and typed it that was a lonnnnggg 3-4seconds:smilebig:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Low side. If you start sliding....don't chop the throttle...in most cases that will end up in a high side.

All I can say is don't tense up and don't catch your fall...your crashing anyways. If you ever high side, it doesn't matter, your flying.......:idunno:either way just let gravity do its work.

I love the Mullholand road clips:plus1:eek:n the dont tense up thing, that goes for on the bike as well, this guy would have lost it but he stayed loose, maintained throttle and let the bike settle back into what it wanted to do anyway, go straight...
YouTube - ‪R1 Nice Save Slo Mo - Mulholland, Hwy‬‏

How to properly run off the road..keep it standing up!!!
YouTube - ‪Turning Error Causes Near Crash‬‏

DONT DO THIS!!!!! Wrong tools for the job....
YouTube - ‪Scooter Crashes Into Guardrail on Mulholland‬‏:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Or these
Panic braking
YouTube - ‪Motorcycle Lowsides in Front of CHP on Mulholland‬‏
Dunno what happend, wheelie slamed down to hard??:idunno:
YouTube - ‪May31_2010_crash.wmv‬‏

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
yes he could if he was quick enough.. I would prob stand aside also as you could get hurt trying to grab it as there is quite a lot of weight there.. If it was a mates bike would be diffrent story but looks like the guy was dicking about too so why risk injury to save his bike..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts