Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, today was the last Carrier trap and catapult of the venerable F-14 Tomcat. You might know it from "Top Gun". It is being phased out in favor of the F/A-18, and eventually the F-35 JSF.

Story about the F-14 here.

Tribute video - Is Here

Edit: Another video here

It's one of the planes that made me decide very early on to be a pilot... we had them flying right over my elementary school on a regular basis out of NAS Alameda. Well, I really wanted to be an Astronaut, but since I am color blind that was never an option.

Farewell Tomcat, may you still be revered in years to come.... :crap:

·
Registered
295 Posts
The Phoenix missile platform has finally outlived it's usefulness, eh? The Tomcat was an impressive machine. Like the F-4, it proved that if you put enough ass behind something, it will fly. I remeber hearing the 14s flying around Memphis when I was there for A-School and just how loud they were. They're kinda like a Huyabusa. Great in a straight line, but take 3 states to turn around. Of course, being a former Hornet Handler, I'm kinda biased as to what I think the best jets out there are.:eyebrows:

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Absolutely nothing will compare to a Tomcat on the carrier, taking tension, at full AB, then release. Never has my body been shaken like that nor has it been since. IMHO Americans best air superiority fighter.:patriot: :thumb:

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
The Phoenix missile platform has finally outlived it's usefulness, eh? The Tomcat was an impressive machine. Like the F-4, it proved that if you put enough ass behind something, it will fly. I remeber hearing the 14s flying around Memphis when I was there for A-School and just how loud they were. They're kinda like a Huyabusa. Great in a straight line, but take 3 states to turn around. Of course, being a former Hornet Handler, I'm kinda biased as to what I think the best jets out there are.:eyebrows:
Can pretty much say the same thing. Was always fun when we took our F-18's out to "Top Gun" at NAS Fallon and got to go out to the training range to watch the f-14, f-18, f-5 melee just above our heads. Some of the crap I have seen those planes do most people would not believe unless you have had the experience to see it.

I don't think they JSF is going to end up being the replacement they think it is but time will tell.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Absolutely nothing will compare to a Tomcat on the carrier, taking tension, at full AB, then release. Never has my body been shaken like that nor has it been since. IMHO Americans best air superiority fighter.:patriot: :thumb:
:huh: larger, slower and less maneuverable than just about everything.. Kinda why it's being replaced.

·
Registered
819 Posts
That first video gave me chils!:thumb:

"Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full."

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
:huh: larger, slower and less maneuverable than just about everything.. Kinda why it's being replaced.

I hear ya but still, ya gotta admit it just looks cool sitting on the deck. :thumb:

Everything gets replaced sooner or later cause of obsolesence. Part of moving forward. If and when the 35 hits the decks people will start to wonder why even built the F-18.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The 35, when it does finally hit the fleet, is the reflection of the changing face of combat. For one, we clearly hold the top rung of the ladder in air superiority. Also, the face of conventional combat has changed, so the means by which it is supported from the air must match it. When the 18 hit the fleet in the early 80's, it was bringing 1969 technology with it. Not that big of a deal at the time, as conventional warfare tactics weren't much different than they were in Korea or Viet Nam. However, as the guys on the ground have made a quantum leap in recent years, they need their air support to keep pace. A lot of that thunder from above starts with lightning on the ground, if you know what I mean. Plus aviation production is more capable of getting newer technologies into production as they are relevent. Heck, the 22's are replacing my beloved 18 at game pace before the 35 will see its first combat sortie. but such is life at the tip of the spear.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts