Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent my gears, well, bought 929 gears from fellow member (thanks again), and sent them off to be undercut......talked to them today and they added and hardened two gears. Will pick them up in the morning from UPS. :eyebrows: I should be back on the road/track next weekend. :clap:

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
SilverBullet said:
I sent my gears, well, bought 929 gears from fellow member (thanks again), and sent them off to be undercut......talked to them today and they added and hardened two gears. Will pick them up in the morning from UPS. :eyebrows: I should be back on the road/track next weekend. :clap:
so you have 8 now? I thought my 7 was a lot

·
Registered
469 Posts
SilverBullet said:
Ha, added to and hardened two gears.
How do they add to the gears? Is it some sort of electro metal reclamation process? I know you can add to most stuff reasonably easy (reclamation welding) but I thought gears would be another kettle of fish. Any specs on exactly what they did?

·
Vendor
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They weld new metal on there then shave it down, harden it, then undercut it. Supposed to be better than a new gear, harder anyway, from what the guy explained to me. I think Abtech knows alot more about it than I do.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
SilverBullet said:
They weld new metal on there then shave it down, harden it, then undercut it. Supposed to be better than a new gear, harder anyway, from what the guy explained to me. I think Abtech knows alot more about it than I do.
SOP on race transmissions. They use some serious welding rod to add new material and then trim, grind, polish and harden the modified cog. Once the base gear looks finished, they cut the dogs to a predetermined negative offset.

·
Vendor
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2001 929rr said:
What kind of cash are we talking here to have that done to the gears?

I charge $300 + shipping if nothing needs to be added to the gears. The 929 transmission that only had 3000miles had two gears that were added too and then cut. Add another 50 bucks for each gear needing more metal, depends on what shop you use, I get dealer cost, and markup isnt squat.

·
Registered
200 Posts
SilverBullet said:
I charge $300 + shipping if nothing needs to be added to the gears. The 929 transmission that only had 3000miles had two gears that were added too and then cut. Add another 50 bucks for each gear needing more metal, depends on what shop you use, I get dealer cost, and markup isnt squat.

So you do the hardening and undercutting yourself or do you send them to someone to have them done?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts