Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else here want to own up to this one? I don't get it, I can be low flying on my bike without a second thought. Other sports I've tried off road racing, cars or bikes are not a problem. Fast on water? Easy! Put me in a big jet however and I start to sweat blood, I've flown all over the world but the anxiety has never gone away no matter what logic I apply. The fear is much worse taking off, once we are at altitude and those big engines are not working quite so hard I can relax a little. Small planes I seem to handle much better but it's still not a picknick. I've considered sedatives but I'm not keen on going down that path.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I suffer from the same and i thinks its because as previousley said we are so used to being in control, especially on a bike, that when we have to rely on someone else its nerve racking, plus thinking about falling out the sky at 32000 feet is enough to scare the s**t out of anyone

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it was partly because I have plenty of hands on experience with mechanical failure. I know the stats on aircraft crashes and I think your right control plays a big part in it as well. Do people like us ever find a cure? To me it is a real act of courage to step onto a 747, those things should never get off the ground. People who see us at the track think we are brave going so fast but I don't get scared when I ride.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Maybe its a different kind of fear for certain people, i have a friend who is a skydiver who quite happily throws himself out of planes but he said he would never go near a bike as they scare him, maybe its a genetic thing or something, that allows certain people to enjoy what others are scared of.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe its a different kind of fear for certain people, i have a friend who is a skydiver who quite happily throws himself out of planes but he said he would never go near a bike as they scare him, maybe its a genetic thing or something, that allows certain people to enjoy what others are scared of.
I'm sure your on the right track, I just wonder if people ever learn to deal with it, by that I mean they can get on a plane as easy as getting on to a train or bus.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I seen a documentary on the discovery channel whereby they use VR simulators for people who are absolutly petrified of flying, and to some measure there was a good degree of success.

Another probably more realistic option is a good bootle of whiskey 30 mins prior to flying should do the trick lol

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
They make non-sedating anxiolytics that you could try. Buspirone and Propranolol come to mind first. They both require a prescription but they might help you enjoy the flight a little more. Propranolol is often used by public speakers.

Flying has never bothered me too much other than the control issue. I have spent hundreds of hours in little Cessna's and am much more at ease in them than I ever will be in a 747 but the saftey stats are much better for the 747. I do think it is possible to get over it. The only fear I ever had was water. So I did a lot of canoeing then progressed to kayaking and can enjoy being in the water much more now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would ge nervous as crap whenever I had to get on a plane, I couldn't even think of sleeping, I just stared out the window the entire time until I got the white swirling dots in front of my eyes. That was until I took a flight with my best friend and his girlfriend and she was even more scared than I was. After I saw how stupid it is to be scared I never was scared of flying again. The best part was when I kept egging her on, telling her, "Look how much the wings flex! Holy crap, there are thousands of gallons of fuel in it and it's bouncing up and down with that engine hanging off of it and it's only glued together" Following flights I got onto like I was getting in the car, read magazines, and even fell asleep through the landing.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Sorry, the airlines are boatloads safer than your cars. Heck, your bikes are about as safe as my Cherokee, and both are outright death machines. If that isn't enough to quell your anxieties, like the man said drink heavily. Definitely my favorite form of sedation.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I hate flying commercial, but only because of all the retarded people
but I have ordered a drink, still on the ground,
& was asleep before I got it, before lift-off
& woke up landing

other than that, flying happens, almost everyday

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's hard to explain you know - it's just fear. No matter what logic I apply, no matter how many time I run the stats through my head or the maintenance schedules or whatever it's not going away. I've seen and heard of people who have it much worse than I do and still fly. I don't have a prblem with sharks unless they are realy big ones so I guess everyone has a different button.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I hate flying but it is the lines and being penned up with that many people :idunno: I despise crowds to the point big cities make me nervous (more than little cities). Not the same as you and not nearly as severe. However you will always find me on the fringe during riders meetings and I am most content in the woods, at the mountains or on the high plains.

If it gets better on takeoff have you considered earplugs? Also where you sit in the tube affects the feel so consider paying more attention to that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think you need to identify your problem first.. either fear of heights, lack of control, or all the noises. A lot of movies really over-rate a plane losing it's engines. Any pilot can land a plane safely with no engines if he has a clear landing area. Read up on how aerodynamics work:p You're just f-ed if the entire wingspan falls off. The odds of that are very bad though.... compare the total # of flights per day vs. accidents. You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning 2 times.

<---- Commercial pilot 3 years. 5000 landings 0 problems :patriot:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does anyone else here want to own up to this one? I don't get it, I can be low flying on my bike without a second thought. Other sports I've tried off road racing, cars or bikes are not a problem. Fast on water? Easy! Put me in a big jet however and I start to sweat blood, I've flown all over the world but the anxiety has never gone away no matter what logic I apply. The fear is much worse taking off, once we are at altitude and those big engines are not working quite so hard I can relax a little. Small planes I seem to handle much better but it's still not a picknick. I've considered sedatives but I'm not keen on going down that path.
It is definitely a control thing, but nevertheless once us bikers realize how not in control we are at speeds exceeding 200 - 300 and perhaps even 150 and faster, we might start to fear our selves. Never fear a bike, it is one beautiful machine with no brains and therefore the safest thing on earth. O but put it under our control it might behave very badly or perhaps even wonderful. Let us all start to speak life into our lives especially when we ride. The death stories belongs to losers and that we are not!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Being a spiritual person, I accept the reality that if it's my time to go then it's my time to go and that's it. The problem is that if it's the pilot's time to go then I'm going too- even if it isn't my time to go. You can't win.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts