Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think you need to identify your problem first.. either fear of heights, lack of control, or all the noises. A lot of movies really over-rate a plane losing it's engines. Any pilot can land a plane safely with no engines if he has a clear landing area. Read up on how aerodynamics work:p You're just f-ed if the entire wingspan falls off. The odds of that are very bad though.... compare the total # of flights per day vs. accidents. You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning 2 times.

<---- Commercial pilot 3 years. 5000 landings 0 problems :patriot:
All of the above! Plus I worry about my family. It might sound a little off base but I've seriously considered taking flying lessons to help gain a better understanding of things.

Sheep - I am going to try some earplugs - good idea. I never understand why they shutdown the head phone music on takeoff??? I think by the time the thing takes off they should be well into a good movie or something. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
On of my friends from work talked me into going to Busch Gardens last Friday and I got on a roller coaster for the first time ever. First I got on the battering ram all the way at the back. Then I got on the roughest, most g-inducing at the park (Alpinegeist) and was disappointed when it was over.
When my friend called up me to go to the park and I told him I didn't like roller coasters, he said he couldn't believe a guy who rides extremely powerful motorcycles is a afraid of coasters.
What I don't like about roller coasters and airplanes is that someone else is in charge of maintenance. I don't trust myself, why would I trust a total stranger with my safety?

·
Registered
20 Posts
All of the above! Plus I worry about my family. It might sound a little off base but I've seriously considered taking flying lessons to help gain a better understanding of things.

Sheep - I am going to try some earplugs - good idea. I never understand why they shutdown the head phone music on takeoff??? I think by the time the thing takes off they should be well into a good movie or something. :)

That actually is a common thing I saw as a flight instructor. For about 1 grand you can get a very in depth coverage of what all the sounds///movements are. This helps people's fear of common noises such as flaps, spoilers, fuel pumps, landing gear just moving. So they know that everything is normal. Check out your local small airport for lessons. The bigger ones charge 2x as much, but sometimes actually have worse instructors :rotfl:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I get the same way you do .Org. I told my wife I would fly to Orange county with her on monday, and woke up in a cold sweat that night, freaking out. Needless to say Im not going anymore.

On another note, my friend that works at Boeing as an engineer on the wings of 737's told me I have a better chance of being killed by my mailman than I do dying in a plane crash. He also said the wings can flex over 20', which is equal to a 9g turn. Either way, neither of those facts has helped me feel any better about flying.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I don't have a prblem with sharks unless they are realy big ones so I guess everyone has a different button.
Even been in the water with a shark?

Ive surfed with sharks around and didnt like it. Asked one of the locals if they are normally around and he said yes. But I still spent most of my time watching for fins and shadows rather than for waves.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Right, im not trying to sound big headed, but im not scared of flying. I just get on the plane, strap myself in and listen to either music or on board entertainment.

Its only when the problems start arising e.g. we have to land suddenly and when your gas masks pop out from the over head compartment is when my stomach starts to turn! Best time to fly is just after a bomb scare, security is HUGE!

Sharks are scary, but so are a lot of other things. If you are brought up around them im sure you would have been ok...

I think its also true that some phobias and "scaredness" can be passed down from your parents. Ive seen it happen, have you?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Even been in the water with a shark?

Ive surfed with sharks around and didnt like it. Asked one of the locals if they are normally around and he said yes. But I still spent most of my time watching for fins and shadows rather than for waves.
Surfed for most of my life and sharks have never been an issue. I'm sure they are always around somewhere when your in the water. Large waves cause much more stress I think. Over 5 - 6ft and I think twice before getting in these days..

21 - 31 of 31 Posts