Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in making a career change to some sort of Federal Law Enforcement. Anyone here a Fed and have advice?

Which department?
How to find more info?

PM my if you don't want to post.

Thanks,

HD

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cliff : You didn't get in?
You say that like everybody does. Less than 1% of applicants are hired. I haven't been officially rejected yet. Passed Phase 1 and no invitation to Phase 2. I don't expect it either. The more I hear the more I think other agencies are better to work for anyway (my justification).

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Heavy-Dee saw Men in Black and just had to get in on the action. He just wants to work with Will Smith...

Just kidding man. Good luck with the application.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nomad : Heavy-Dee saw Men in Black and just had to get in on the action.  He just wants to work with Will Smith...

Just kidding man.  Good luck with the application.
It's just that I would look so dam# good in those shades!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Heavy-Dee : Quote (Cliff @ June 25 2003, 2:32pm)You didn't get in?
You say that like everybody does.  Less than 1% of applicants are hired.  I haven't been officially rejected yet.  Passed Phase 1 and no invitation to Phase 2.  I don't expect it either.  The more I hear the more I think other agencies are better to work for anyway (my justification).
No I didn't mean it like that. Just joking. Be a US Marshal

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1811 is a job code I think. Used to describe 'Special Agent' types. An FBI Special Agent is considered an '1811', w/ a pay grage of GS-10 through 15. Most agencies have 1811's like the Criminal Investigator for the USPS. Secret Service, Diplomatic Security Service, IRS all have 1811 type employees, and they are usually investigator's that carry a weapon, caseload, et al.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Best advice I can give you although Im just starting a career as a Police officer is to get some experiance as LEO or get a masters degree. I know for a fact Secret Service wont take you unless you have a masters already. Federal Jobs are tough to get.

SS

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
A foot-in-the-door type of job would be as a LEO for one of the Federal Reserve banks. Not a very exciting job as those banks only get robbed in movies but like I said...it's a foot in the door.

US Marshalls or DSS would be the coolest, IMO. ATF and Secret Service are close seconds....and the Secret Service is currently hiring.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Secret Service is actively hiring and finding folks to for certain positions. You'd be suprised at the field of responsibility they engage these days.

HD - what particular aspect of the (assumedly field agent) FBI path interests you the most? You will find some other agencies 'easier' to make arrangements with right now and some that are downright begging for people and having jobfairs.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, recently the FBI path has not interested me as much for some reason. I have read some things about the religious wackos that form militias and such. In one story I read this FBI SA actually formed a good working relationship w/ the leader of one of these groups. They talked aften and this SA was able to calm the groups nerves so to speak and potentially avoided any Waco type of incidents. I found it fascinating the way the SA used education and open comunication to eliminate an 'enemy'. No arresting, no trials, no use of force. Just a knock on the door and 'let's talk'. But the FBI has really changed since 9/11 focusing more on terrorism. Working to head off terrorism is very similar to the story I mentioned above, the difference is that the 'enemy' is foreign or at least has foreign influence and the opportunity to educate in order to prevent is not really practical. Also, the reasons that groups like Hamas hate the US run a little deeper than the 'run of the mill' domestic militia's misunderstanding of the government's intentions, and I'm not sure a similar tactic would be of any use.

I would enjoy a lot of different areas I think (anti-terrorism, bank robbery, drugs etc). The important thing is being able to feel 'attached' to my work and like people are relying on me to get my work done well. I work in a job now, where people act like they rely on me to get my job done, but I just can't figure out why it is soooooo important to them. Everything seems so pointless. So I would like to have it be really important that I do my job, like people's quality of life depends on it.

The only other thing I would add, and forgive me as this sounds selfish, is that I need to not take much, if any of a pay cut. I just bought a house and my wife and I are just starting our plan to 'get ahead'. I know that if I did get into Federal LE that there is a real good chance that I would have to move. I have considered that. Right now it is such a long shot that I can't worry about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts