Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm going to change the fork seals on my CBR954 and was wondering whether there is actually a need to remove the lower damper bolt to do this operation?

I ask because of the way the forks strip down where you can remove the top cap, which releases the damper assembly connection. which should mean the fork tube can be fully withdrawn from the stanchion assembly so allowing access to the seals.

Or am I daft and missing something:idunno:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi all, I'm going to change the fork seals on my CBR954 and was wondering whether there is actually a need to remove the lower damper bolt to do this operation?

I ask because of the way the forks strip down where you can remove the top cap, which releases the damper assembly connection. which should mean the fork tube can be fully withdrawn from the stanchion assembly so allowing access to the seals.

I don't know if you can but it may be possible.
Even if you can do it that way I would strip it completely so you can thoroughly clean and inspect it all. The damper rod bolt is not a problem to remove or reinstall as long as you do it while the spring is installed to hold it tight.
Being a 954 be sure to closely inspect the lower fork castings for any signs of cracking in case yours weren't replaced under the recall.

·
Registered
834 Posts

Yes. I have my 954 forks in pieces right now waiting on new bushings before I re-assemble the forks. You have to take the forks completely apart because the spring must be removed to set the fluid level so you might as well remove the lower damper bolt. The forks will be very dirty and need to be cleaned also.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Check out my post over in the articles section on complete disassembly of 954 forks. Its much easier than you think and will allow you to clean the internals while you are replacing the fork seals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts