Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to seem like an idiot, and not wanting to kill kittens...I installed a Hindle full system, d/c'd the HTEV cables, but still have the damn FI light coming on intermittently. Is there any way to eliminate the solenoid altogether? I know it was f'd from the pea gravel wedged into the HTEV - it seems like it rotates and gets stuck (hence the light) Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Don't have an answer for you, but I just put a full hindle on mine, I left the flapper cable attached and have not had a warning light come on yet, but have only done maybe 20 klms

·
Registered
720 Posts
Same as Ratter 1, I left my cables attached. 7000+ miles so far and no FI light.

Rick

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Can you rotate the solinoid at all? Sometimes the light comes on because the solinoid thing was rotated to remove the cables. If it's put back to it's starting position, the FI light will go out. See if you can move it a bit, and see at which position the light goes out. I removed the cables (left the flapper one on), and rotated the soliniod to the position it was in before removing the cables. No FI light.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll give it a shot again, but I've rotated it to the original position - no light. Go for a ride, and it seems like the servo is trying to rotate around and it gets stuck. I can hear it turning on and off, and I can reach in and bump it and it'll stop. I was hoping there was a way to just 86 the thing entirely, but I'm not sure...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll give it a shot again, but I've rotated it to the original position - no light. Go for a ride, and it seems like the servo is trying to rotate around and it gets stuck. I can hear it turning on and off, and I can reach in and bump it and it'll stop. I was hoping there was a way to just 86 the thing entirely, but I'm not sure...

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
on my 954 I removed just the 2 htev cables, left the flapper cable installed, if I turn the servo motor, when I turn the ignition on the computer automatically centres the servo to the correct position

·
Registered
148 Posts
Um, what code is the FI light showing...

Did you resistor pack the 02 sensor?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no code, just the red light and 'FI' on the dash. Didn't otuch any resistor...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Fossil : no code, just the red light and 'FI' on the dash. Didn't otuch any resistor...
When the FI light comes on, you can jump the ECU plug with a paperclip, then read the code on the dash by the blinking light.

My guess is you removed the 02 sensor, didn't replace it with 2 1k ohm resistors and thus the FI (check engine) light has come to haunt you....

Easy fix.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice, but no O2 sensor on my 49-stater. I'm pretty sure problem lies in the servo motor. I think somethings toast as it doesn't rotate smoothly - it gets hung up and just clicks back and forth- I guess I'll try Ron Ayers unless there's a way to bypass the whole deal...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Servo to flapper connection

Afetr I install my new Hindle full system and inturn remove the cables that went to the dreaded HTEV I will pinn down the flapper but it seems to me that once pinned down the servo will not turn properly and my FI light will probably flash.How does the servo attatch to the flapper and if this connection is seperated and the servo spins as if it was still acomplishiong its mission shouldnt my FI light not come on?Kind of tricking the servo.I have my system in a box and will be installing this weekend!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Doesn't help with your problem but I had exactly the same problems with the htev, small stone jammed it up, back and forward to the dealer for about six weeks. They eventually replaced the servo under warranty (pretty damm good of them I thought). They opened up the old servo and there is a heap of little plastic cogs in there. After all the problems with mine half of the teeth were snapped off and rattling around in the bottom of the housing. The light would come on just as you describe, when put the valve in the correct start place then started the bike, warmed it up to temp then slowly reved past position change for htev. I could hear the servo wirring and trying to move but then it would flash error code 35 (I think) - three long, five short. I do remember reading at the time that some people just go full system, junk the servo and put up with the light on (mainly racer types I guess) There was also mention of being able to put a resistor onto the wiring so that the bike thinks the servo is still hooked up. I ended up with a full hindle as well, I've been well pleased with it. Good luck and I definately feel for you as I missed half of last summer with mine and it just about sent me crazy trying to get it sorted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just read my last and will add that when I was looking for the problem and could hear the servo clicking and trying to move that was with the cables disconnected at the htev end, they would move some but not enough. I think your servo is poked the same way mine was and to get rid of the light you need to fool the electronics, or get hold of a used servo and throw that on.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts