Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I finally got my hands on a 2003 rc51 it seems like the guy I got it from took good care of it . Miles sre higher than I'd like but it went straight from the purchase site to a Honda dealer to be completely gone through and checked for valve clearance and full service to be performed.

There are some things that I would like to correct. One of them being the fact that I believe it has oem fairing but maybe not all the same year .... the tail fairing to be exact is the 02 colors the production date is Sept of 02 it is an 03 model could they have mixed and matche the fairings at the factory? Probably not I would think.

Anyway any help sourcing parts for this thing would be appreciated . Does anyone else still ride an RC? If so where are you from and what should I expect.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Well, I went back to my roots, and full on mid life crisis a few years ago....I lost my original 2004 RC51 to Mid Ohio's Thunder Valley back in 2004. I picked up a 2002 RC51 in 2017 and still have it. I ride it sparingly. It needed some work as it had been down by a previous owner. Ended up putting on all factory 2004 fairings and a NOS signed tank. Its got about 17xxx miles as she sits today.

Around town its not too comfortable and hard to ride at slow stop and go speeds. Its extremely hot as well, especially when its 80*+. Once she's at a reasonable pace though, all of the weight disappears and she's a dream to ride. Very smooth and stable. Lots of low end torque, and an amazing booming voice echoing from the pipes.

Prices are continuing to climb, and current market price has almost doubled what I paid back in 2017. I say that ill have this one for the rest of my life, but that could always change if the prices continue to climb.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I went back to my roots, and full on mid life crisis a few years ago....I lost my original 2004 RC51 to Mid Ohio's Thunder Valley back in 2004. I picked up a 2002 RC51 in 2017 and still have it. I ride it sparingly. It needed some work as it had been down by a previous owner. Ended up putting on all factory 2004 fairings and a NOS signed tank. Its got about 17xxx miles as she sits today.

Around town its not too comfortable and hard to ride at slow stop and go speeds. Its extremely hot as well, especially when its 80*+. Once she's at a reasonable pace though, all of the weight disappears and she's a dream to ride. Very smooth and stable. Lots of low end torque, and an amazing booming voice echoing from the pipes.

Prices are continuing to climb, and current market price has almost doubled what I paid back in 2017. I say that ill have this one for the rest of my life, but that could always change if the prices continue to climb.
Sounds like she's definitely going to be a canyon queen. I've been having a hell of a time sourcing oem stuff so I wound up reaching out to a fairing company that I've had good luck with before and am having them make me a set of replica fairings for the oem scheme. I sent as many pictures and details as I could find and they have been very receptive. Dealer called me yesterday and recommended that all fluids be changed since they looked old and low.... guy I got it from said they were all fresh lol.... I told them to do it all oils coolant sparks everything . So 1300 bucks later I should have it back in tip top condition.

I'll periodically post updates as this project unveils because knowing me ill.be deep into mods and upgrades soon enough .

And because of the issues with the parts I've decided to rebuild my 05 cbr1000rr now while it's still remotely easy to get the parts.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yeah, most OEM factory stuff is gone by now. Some repair and most maintenance stuff is still around, but as far as body work, graphics, etc...long gone. I've debated getting set of Chinese fairings myself and putting them on and keeping the OEM stuff safely tucked away. I had the same stuff done to mine back in 2017 as well. Cost was right around the same, although I added a chain and sprocket kit at the same time. Even if you don't do much with either bike for now, it would be smart to buy the stuff you may need now, while you still can. I actually have parts for a bike I dint have, just as what I bought what thought to the the last new OEM.....tail fairings for a 1998 CBR F3. Bought those parts in 2018, and finally found one in November of 2021.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well just an update still don't have the 03 RC back from Honda they found a weep coming from the clutch slave so hopefully I will have her back this week since that was their eta. However I did stumble on an awesome project this weekend another rc51 lol this one's a 2000 and have alot of miles on it but it's a perfect candidate for a full restoration. Tons of great aftermarket parts to include full ohlins suspension and steering stabilizer. I'll get some pictures up of that one soon .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts