Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Im new to the forum and would like to bring up a problem I am having:crap:. Been reading this forum for about a year before I decided to actually post something. Heres my problem... I have fire coming out of my exhaust. It happens when I am stationary and the engine is on. It comes out in spurts and loud popping noises. :hmm: dont know how it happened but it happened ever since i added seafoam and a new 4 new fuel injectors along with a new fuel rail and fuel pump....Im thinking it could be the carbs but then it never happened b4... any advice would be appreciated. :smilebig:

·
Registered
2 Posts
it could probably stand to be rejetted. DO you havwe stock exhaust? also try adding ethanol to the gas (octane booster) you will get less power but less afterburn.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
You have injectors and carbs? Probably one or the other. If its carbed, then you have jets, if its fuel injected, you have injectors.

Sounds like its backfiring => running lean.
Any mods to your exhaust?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
You cant remap the stock ecu, only if you already have a power commander can you change the fueling table.

When you replaced the injectors and pump, were they for this specific model?
After this change, did you see an increase in mileage/tank?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have a slip on two bros exhaust. The thing is, it didn't do this before and I forgot to mention it was sitting for a year (had trouble with the BAS which works now). I did buy the injectors and pump off a guy for $40:). He had the same model and was stripping it for parts with 13k miles on it. I have not noticed a increase/decrease in mileage per tank yet as I have yet to ride it for fear that something extreme might happen. I will try it though and take her apart just to make sure I bolted the fuel rail on tight. It also stops a couple seconds after I turn on the engine but I have determined that to be a problem with contaminated fuel (Seafoam). It also idles high. I dont know if all these symptoms are related to one problem or not. A friend of mine told me that I can probably still ride it until the stuff burns off. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Before you go ride it, check if the fuel pressure regulator is fine. Im not exactly sure about the F4i but on the other models, if a vac line has fuel in it, the diaphragm is torn and the FPR needs replacing (this is checked after a few min of running). Else, sounds like poor fuel. Drain tank, new gas, and fuel filter.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You can definitely ride a bike with Seafoam in it, that's the best way to do it. Seafoam is some really good stuff for cleaning intake system, it also cleans carbon deposits (if bike starts smoking, don't panic...just means it's doing it's job)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. really appreciate it:smilebig:. I will try your method Burton. Another friend of mine rides dirt bikes and told me to do the same thing but add 107 octane b/c it is cleaner and might burn off whatever bad fuel I have in the tank. :flame:

·
Registered
48 Posts
did you put the seafoam in the gas tank?

i know when I did it to my truck i sucked it up through the PCV valve.... i dunno how it's done on a bike? im interested

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just added it right into the gas tank. It puffed out a huge blanket of smoke but then it subsided after awhile.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does the cbr have the PAIR valve that Honda is famous for? (sorry, mine's too old for that). If so, you're going to have some after-burn once you change out the exhaust or change the a/f ratio. (that happened to my VTX). You can block off the pair valve and remove it (if that's legal in cali) and that will probably end your problem IF you don't just burn it all out like you plan to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It does have the PAIR valve beneath the air intake compartment adjacent to the throttle body and the steering bars. How did you block off the pair valve? did you just disconnect it from the cylinder head and pinch it off? Im interested to know..:popcorn:

·
Registered
85 Posts
There are PAIR block off plates that you can buy. At first, I just plugged the hose, but that lead to condensation forming. Then I bought the plates (cost $18 with shipping) completely removed the valve, and blocked off. Here's a link to how to do it on a VTX, I assume that it would be the same on the CBR (just more of them :) )
Biglry's desmog mod for the VTX
You can buy the block off plates from ebay, or many other sites. If you're interested in doing this, I'll take some pics of the PAIR that I took off of my "X" and you can decide if they are the same as the CBR or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts