Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum, and after some help with a charging issue with my bike. (I've already searched and searched but can't find any definitive answers)

I recently bought the bike and on the first ride it fried the reg/rec. With it having an RSV1000 seat unit and sub frame on it I noticed that the reg/rec was only mounted on a small thin bit of plate that was bolted to the plastic undertray. Thought I'd solved the problem by re-mounting the new reg/rec on the sub frame so it had a proper heat sink (with proper heat sink paste). Checked that the battery voltage was OK (14.5v) then set off on a ride. Again it fried the second reg/rec!

So far I've checked...

Generator resistance (ok)
Bought a new battery
Made a new wiring loom as the connectors were burnt
Mounted reg/rec to the sub frame

What I have noticed is that the reg/rec was getting hot quick. The 3 phase wires from the generator were getting warm! I tested the voltage across the phases from the generator, but with no definite answers i'm not sure what readings I should get at what rpm!?? I also did a load test on the each of the phases and got 20A at idle running speed! No wonder its getting hot! The load test on the red/white wire from the reg/rec was 7A at idle with all lights on.

The only reason I can see the generator phases pulling that much load is because the reg/rec replacements I'm getting are bad. And as you've probably already guessed it, my second (the bikes third) reg/rec has fried!

I'm at a loss as to what to do next! Someone point me in the right direction!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum, and after some help with a charging issue with my bike. (I've already searched and searched but can't find any definitive answers)

I recently bought the bike and on the first ride it fried the reg/rec. With it having an RSV1000 seat unit and sub frame on it I noticed that the reg/rec was only mounted on a small thin bit of plate that was bolted to the plastic undertray. Thought I'd solved the problem by re-mounting the new reg/rec on the sub frame so it had a proper heat sink (with proper heat sink paste). Checked that the battery voltage was OK (14.5v) then set off on a ride. Again it fried the second reg/rec!

So far I've checked...

Generator resistance (ok)
Bought a new battery
Made a new wiring loom as the connectors were burnt
Mounted reg/rec to the sub frame

What I have noticed is that the reg/rec was getting hot quick. The 3 phase wires from the generator were getting warm! I tested the voltage across the phases from the generator, but with no definite answers i'm not sure what readings I should get at what rpm!?? I also did a load test on the each of the phases and got 20A at idle running speed! No wonder its getting hot! The load test on the red/white wire from the reg/rec was 7A at idle with all lights on.

The only reason I can see the generator phases pulling that much load is because the reg/rec replacements I'm getting are bad. And as you've probably already guessed it, my second (the bikes third) reg/rec has fried!

I'm at a loss as to what to do next! Someone point me in the right direction!
your three yellow wires should have bout 50vac running thru each at idle and lot more under throttle.
I blew numerous volt regs. On a bad stator that was over producing like crazy frying regs in mins if you wanted to.
Got 2 other stotors one used low mileage oem it fried and a ricks it fried? Then handwound my own for like 30 bucks worth wire. Took few hours.
Backed it up with 130$ mosfet shindengen reg hard mounted to swingarm.

Worked like charm and lasted at extended highspeed where everything else failed

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Id chop new stator wires short as possible. And ditch that 3prong plug they like to melt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts