Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a cbr 900 (sc28; 1995) last year completely serviced and well. put it away and wanted to make it summer ready. for the love of god i cannot find the choke to start the bike. i tried to start the bike, the start engine turns but no ignition. if the choke was on the steering handles somewhere, it has been relocated.

i have a sort of turning wheel on the left side of the bike near the carb and fuel valve. i thought that was the choke (turned the wheel all the way both sides) but no luck. furthermore i don't know what the proper starting procedure is (i know, dumb newbie). i used to ride a vfr 750 (1986) and harleys. they are not picky, choose one gear and push the start button. side stand out or not, it does not matter. the sc28 is another story.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
bought a cbr 900 (sc28; 1995) last year completely serviced and well. put it away and wanted to make it summer ready. for the love of god i cannot find the choke to start the bike. i tried to start the bike, the start engine turns but no ignition. if the choke was on the steering handles somewhere, it has been relocated.

i have a sort of turning wheel on the left side of the bike near the carb and fuel valve. i thought that was the choke (turned the wheel all the way both sides) but no luck. furthermore i don't know what the proper starting procedure is (i know, dumb newbie). i used to ride a vfr 750 (1986) and harleys. they are not picky, choose one gear and push the start button. side stand out or not, it does not matter. the sc28 is another story.

Isn't it a knob in the middle of the upper fork clamp?
The "turning wheel" is the fuel selector.
Starting is closed throttle, choke on, press the starter button.
Always start in neutral when the engine is cold, do not select a gear before starting the engine.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,059 Posts
Isn't it a knob in the middle of the upper fork clamp?
The "turning wheel" is the fuel selector.
Starting is closed throttle, choke on, press the starter button.
Always start in neutral when the engine is cold, do not select a gear before starting the engine.
I think he means the idle adjustment knob. If you turned that out too far it may have unthreaded from the carb body. That would present a hard starting issue and probably no idle.

As far as the choke goes as BR said there should be a black knob to "pull" up on pinched in the top trie clamp bolt. If it's not there then you have to start looking for it. It must have been moved. There should be a 2 foot or so cable going to the right side of the carbs. That would be the choke cable. It may be hard to see without the tank off though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your replies.

yes, that is the idle adjustment knob that i turned. luckily i did not unthread it, i was able to put it back in.

i will have a look to see where the choke has been moved to.

next weekend i will give it another try to get it running (and off course finding the choke).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Get the tank off and look at the rh side of carbs end where the cable should be to see if one is fitted. If there is one follow it back to see where the knob is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it was relocated to the back of the bike (onto the frame just above the jiffy stand). The engine idle speed was completely messed up due to my mistaken the engine idle for the choke. what should the idle speed be (1500 - 1800 rpm or...). i have it idling at 1800 rpm at the moment.
thanks for all the replies and help so far

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
1200 rpm denn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts