Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Gonna be upgrading my front brake MC soon on my 98 rrw with one from a 954 that a mate has going spare.
Don't suppose whether anyone knows if the brake lever is the same or not?
Just wondering whether i'll have to order a matching lever to my clutch or reuse the one i currently have on.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,055 Posts
Hey all,

Gonna be upgrading my front brake MC soon on my 98 rrw with one from a 954 that a mate has going spare.
Don't suppose whether anyone knows if the brake lever is the same or not?
Just wondering whether i'll have to order a matching lever to my clutch or reuse the one i currently have on.
They're not the same. The 954 has a different style adjuster on it. But that's not to say your lever won't work. Before you go and buy one try your lever on your buddy's MC.

Don't really know if changing the MC to the 954 is an upgrade though. :idunno:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as i'm aware the front brakes were updated an improved upon on the 929 which carried over to the 954.
As the calipers remained exactly the same except being painted gold instead one can only conclude that they changed the MC.... and seeing as it has a different piston that must be the cause giving out more pressure?

now my brakes had a complete overhaul about 2 years ago when i got her, including new seals, MC repair kit, fresh pads (EBC), and fresh fluid, and still didn't/don't feel as powerful braking compared to the 954. heh

·
Registered
126 Posts
As far as i'm aware the front brakes were updated an improved upon on the 929 which carried over to the 954.
As the calipers remained exactly the same except being painted gold instead one can only conclude that they changed the MC.... and seeing as it has a different piston that must be the cause giving out more pressure?

now my brakes had a complete overhaul about 2 years ago when i got her, including new seals, MC repair kit, fresh pads (EBC), and fresh fluid, and still didn't/don't feel as powerful braking compared to the 954. heh
Brake pressure depends the cylinder and the lever ratio (pivot point position) not just the cylinder bore.

On my 919 I fitted a GSXR radial cylinder and lever. I did this for clearance reasons as I have flat bars on my bike. The cylinder was the same bore but the leverage was different. Still stops ok but I have nothing to compare with other than my GSXR and Bandit.

Pete

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,055 Posts

I guess the MC is a bit bigger, but the smaller caliper piston is 2mm smaller on the 954. I would assume if only changing the MC you're not going to gain much over what you have now. The big daddy difference is the extra 20mm of rotor diameter on the 954. I noticed a huge difference in my original 900's brakes when I put the cast iron Brembo 320's on from the stock 296's. I then got a billet Brembo master cylinder too but it didn't excite me as much as the rotor change. Just food for thought my friend. I used this previous post from an old thread:

"No idea if the following info is correct but I found this somewhere on the internet listing the different calipers/master cylinder sizes.

The F4, F4i, 600RR, RC51, 929RR, 954RR calipers are all externally identical. The caliper piston and master cylinder sizes vary from model to model and year to year. Here is a little chart I put together awhile back with all the data."

2003-2004 CBR600RR mc 11/16” (17.4625 mm)
caliper pistons 32mm/30mm

2000-2001 CBR929RR mc 19mm
caliper pistons 34mm/30mm

2002-2003 CBR954RR mc 11/16” (17.4625 mm)

2000-2001 VTR1000 SP1 mc 19mm
caliper pistons 34mm/32mm

2002-present VTR1000 SP2 mc 11/16” (17.4625 mm)

1999-Present CBR600F4(i) mc 5/8” (15.87mm)
caliper pistons 34mm/32mm"

And this was from Bladeracer:

Good info - this info comes straight from the OEM manuals.
For reference:
'92-'97 900RR mc 15mm
Pistons 30mm/27mm

'98/'99 900RR mc 5/8"
Pistons 34mm/32mm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts