Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 02/03 954 and the new 1000 CBR's really called fireblades? I thought that term was used for the previous bikes such as the 900/919/929 models. Where did this term come from? From Honda? Were any decals placed on any of these bikes from the factory or did users come up with this naming convention and style of the decal?

Just curious.

B.T.W. Beautiful weather in Melbourne(FL that is). Highs in the mid 70's and light wind. Rode my 954 to work this morning. Great day for a ride. :cool:

·
Banned
3,466 Posts
Thats cool. I was always under the impression that only the overseas models were called that. Especially since the American models do not say Fireblade anywhere(the bike, the manual, Honda's website, etc...).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Some of the other lines' names are different between US and Europe too - the US "Super Hawk" is a Firestorm over here, RC51 is an SP1 or SP2. Blackbirds, Hornets and Pan Europeans (obviously) don't seem to have official names in the US whereas what's an Interceptor in the US has only ever been a VFR here.

I think the fireblade name is a literal translation of the Japanese term for lightning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I believe that the story is that a group of Honda engineers, marketing people and Tadao Baba were thinking of the name for their new open class bike. One of the Europe Honda folks came up with the term "fireblade" which used the kanji (chinese character) for lightning. Or it may be the other way around.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'd heard that it was originally to be called FireFlash. Decided against when it was pointed out that in the UK at least, Flash was too close to "lash" for comfort. A "lash up" being slang for something makeshift, "junkyard war" type thing. :idunno:

Somewaht surprised that the Japanese naming committee chose "Firestorm" for the VTR1000 considering what allied bombers did to Tokyo in 1945.

BTW We never got the "Hurricane" either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts