Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I know the topic seems a bit dumb (comparing apples to oranges I guess), but I recently wrecked my Blackbird in a head-on collision :( and I'm considering something more sport biased, such as the the 929RR, ZX9R, Gixxer 750 and R1 as my next bike.

I've noticed that some of you fellows have had the XX Blackbird in the past, and I was hoping that you could give a brief comparison of the two bikes..?

I'm rather spoiled when it comes to brutal acceleration and speed, do you reckon I'll miss any of that if I go with the 929RR?

The Blackbird was remarkably stable at any speed, I've heard that the 929RR is a bit nervous during hard accelerations, and that it WILL give you a tank slapper sooner or later, unless you install a steering damper. True or false??

I guess the Blackbird is a couch on wheels compared to the 929. Just how "bad" is riding comfort on the 929RR anyway? I spend 98% of the time on road, and 2% on the track so I need a bike that will allow for at least 3 hours of spirited riding without hurting the knees/wrists/back too much.

Ground clearance was terrible on the Blackbird, even after raising the rear 6mm. Kept grinding the peg feelers through almost every corner on the track. And I was hanging off like an ape too, mind you! :D

So.. Any inputs on this? What are the pro's and con's with a 929RR, compared to a Blackbird (or similar) ?? :huh:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi guys,

I know the topic seems a bit dumb (comparing apples to oranges I guess), but I recently wrecked my Blackbird in a head-on collision :( and I'm considering something more sport biased, such as the the 929RR, ZX9R, Gixxer 750 and R1 as my next bike.

I've noticed that some of you fellows have had the XX Blackbird in the past, and I was hoping that you could give a brief comparison of the two bikes..?

I'm rather spoiled when it comes to brutal acceleration and speed, do you reckon I'll miss any of that if I go with the 929RR?

The Blackbird was remarkably stable at any speed, I've heard that the 929RR is a bit nervous during hard accelerations, and that it WILL give you a tank slapper sooner or later, unless you install a steering damper. True or false??

I guess the Blackbird is a couch on wheels compared to the 929. Just how "bad" is riding comfort on the 929RR anyway? I spend 98% of the time on road, and 2% on the track so I need a bike that will allow for at least 3 hours of spirited riding without hurting the knees/wrists/back too much.

Ground clearance was terrible on the Blackbird, even after raising the rear 6mm. Kept grinding the peg feelers through almost every corner on the track. And I was hanging off like an ape too, mind you! :D

So.. Any inputs on this? What are the pro's and con's with a 929RR, compared to a Blackbird (or similar) ?? :huh:
There was a thread only a couple of months ago by a guy who couldn't decide on the 'Bird or the 'Blade.
Ended up buying the 'Bird but sold it weeks later to get a 'Blade.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
False.
Set the bike up properly and you will never need a damper.
The bike is certainly twitchy but it doesn't slap.
Getting the front light over bumps or landing wheelies can slap the bars but that isn't a tank slapper.
A tank slapper is an oscillation, this is just the wheel coming back into line.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bird or Blade? Well for what it's worth I now have a Blade and use to ride a ZZR1400. First impressions of the blade was like getting off the sofa and sitting on a bar stool :) But once on the move it all started to make sense, I'm 6'5" and find the Blade extremely comfortable, a 3hr ride is not out of the question and does not induce John Wayne style walking after doing it:rotfl:. Like you I was spoilt with the brute power and whislt the ZZR does handle well, it was hard work to keep pace on twisties with blades and the like. I have fitted a PC V to my blade and the acceleration feels near to my 1400's. IMHO depends what you need most, if it's two up long haul "Bird" but if most of your time is solo "BLADE" "BLADE" "BLADE".

·
Registered
567 Posts
Well I can't vouch for 929s, but my 900 with a 1mm overbore(945) could pull with a 2001 Blackbird(stock) and it couldn't keep up in the turns at all. Now if driver characteristics are coming into play, I dunno. Probably so in a straight line I expect, at least to a marginal degree. Although the 1100XX produces more power, the bike also weighs around 100 lbs more than my 96 and I believe the later model Fireblades reduced weight so.....

Curious as to why you chose a 929 over a 954 or even a 1000?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had the Bird, Firestorm, 600 Blade and 2 1000 Blades. I used all of them for commuting and general travelling and loved all of them. The Bird is a great bike and has a fairly sporty riding position. The Blade is a civilised monster. Huge handfuls of power but still pretty comfortable. I ride 150 miles a day all year and haven't had any issues with the Blade apart from a twitchy rear end in damp conditions under acceleration (gentle right hand solves that). It's always behaved and has even forgiven me some poor riding skills on occasion.

Why not test both? You'll know straight away!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curious as to why you chose a 929 over a 954 or even a 1000?
Well, here in Norway a decent 929 with low milage costs between 12.000 and 15.000 USD. And that's about as much as I can afford/justify for a bike at this point. The 1000RR looks like a sweet machine for sure! Maybe next time.. :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMHO depends what you need most, if it's two up long haul "Bird" but if most of your time is solo "BLADE" "BLADE" "BLADE".
That's what I wanted to hear!! Looking forward to try a 900RR at the very first opportunity! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts