Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I DL them both and use them? Pros/cons? Features? Sundry input?

I'm tired of constantly updating MSIE.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Conq, I thought Thunderbird was the mail client that replaced MSOE when you switched to Firefox?

Also, what other utilities do you recommend to keep a clean running system? I'm DL'ing Webroot Spy Sweeper right now...

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
if you are a nerd, try it (lots of knobs and dials to turn but less compatible. if not, stick with ie exploder

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
figment said:
if you are a nerd, try it (lots of knobs and dials to turn but less compatible. if not, stick with ie exploder
Well, I'm not a nerd in that sense (the computer one), so... :)

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ND4SPD said:
Ad aware and spybot is all you need....
I'm using Webroot Spysweeper right now and while it seems good, I'm still getting some pop-ups (even past the blocker built-in to my Google search bar). Maybe I ought to try AdAware too.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I've just started using Firefox. Keep in mind that my comments here are from a Web Developer's perspective:

Firefox renders HTML/CSS the way it is intended to be rendered. IE has many bugs and "unintended features" that make coding shit difficult. We have to go back and forth between the two browsers and usually if something is messed up it is in IE and we have to do some hack to get it to work. The problem is that IE makes up 95% of our audience, so we have to make damn sure everything looks good in IE. Which kinda sucks.

There are some neat tools in Firefox, but I'm just starting to use it and most are developer tools so I don't think you'd be interested in my reviews of them.

In short, it's a good alternative for anyone.

HD

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Chain... There are a million pages where I've said it and I'll say it again.

Here are the pro's you care about.
1. Tabbed browsing. HELLL yeah.
2. Pop-up protection that works very well.
3. No problems with spyware. HELLLL yeah.

Here are some cons...
Many websites are designed by short-sighted folks that can only spell IE and hence will only work in IE (edit: hehe, sorry conq, I was posting this when you wrote your message above. :rotfl: You can spell IE right? ;) ). I find that out of the box, IE runs most additonal code (flash, movies etc.) where in FireFox you may have to install these. You may have to cut/paste URL's into IE if something doesn't run in Firefox.

As for mail... well... it's hard for me to recommend on this because I have spent the last 8 years usring IBM Lotus Notes - it is has the most seats in the war-of-the-messages. I wouldn't recommend it for a home user. Outlook is the second most popular e-mail product... it's junk. It's very user friendly and has won the hearts of users and virus writers alike. As for the others... you're on your own to test and try them.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Chain said:
I'm using Webroot Spysweeper right now and while it seems good, I'm still getting some pop-ups (even past the blocker built-in to my Google search bar). Maybe I ought to try AdAware too.
Try Firefox. Sheeesh. :p

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I have been using firefox for OS X for about 2 weeks now. Seems to load slower than safari, but it seems to decode most pages faster. Overall I like it.

I'd have a hard time just using IE in a windows environment unless I was made to. (like at work)

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
ConqSoft said:
The Web Developer extension is nice. Our development is 100% for IE, but I still go to FireFox when I want to debug JS, or layout issues, using that extension.
Yea, I'm just starting to use the Developer extention so I don't know much about it yet, but so far it is pretty handy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts