Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so this is my first proper bike (obviously excluding scooters and pit bikes).. 1990 Honda CBR400RR (NC23). Picked it up at the start of the year for a grand.

Few little scuffs and nicks here and there but for a 23 year old bike it's a cracker! Started my lessons not long after buying it and after some messing around from my training school, my Mod 2 is Thursday 25th!

When I got the bike it wanted for nothing tbh, battery kinda died on me through the cold weather until I got an Optimiser, but I had it running here and there although it struggled quite a bit. Last week got a local guy called The Bike Doc to some and sort out any electrical niggles, calibrate the carbs and fit a new choke cable, guy was a legend and it now starts and runs like a dream, he commented that the rest of the bike was superb and needs no extra attention :)

I'm a bit of a clean freak so I used a bunch of my overpriced car cleaning products as well and some new bike specific stuff to clean it, fairings off etc got rid of any tar and ****, gave it a coat of wax, polished up as much metal as I could, treated all the black plastics.

Erm, the bike is completely stock apart from a Viper end can (not actually sure if it's a can or a slip-on?) which sounds lovely! And a fake carbon tax disk holder cause the bike didn't come with one. It's had upgraded headlight bulbs at some point so they're a nice pure white rather than matchstick yellow! Also the number plate was a bit tatty and enormous, so I got a slightly smaller one made but as legal as possible.

Oh, and the old pillion seat was red and worn to ****, so while I was still at my old job I got it retrimmed in black synthetic material used for horse saddles!

Future plans; Probably get the wheels repainted as they're a bit corroded, the front more-so, maybe heated grips, crash bobbins maybe but I need the swingarm ones so I can use one of those stands!

Anyway enough chatting, pictures..

Before by Smithyithy, on Flickr

Before by Smithyithy, on Flickr

Tax by Smithyithy, on Flickr

New Plate by Smithyithy, on Flickr

Work In Progress by Smithyithy, on Flickr

Carb Setting Up by Smithyithy, on Flickr

Carbon Tax by Smithyithy, on Flickr

New Seat by Smithyithy, on Flickr

Viper Can by Smithyithy, on Flickr

Rear Quarter by Smithyithy, on Flickr

Side by Smithyithy, on Flickr

CBR400RR by Smithyithy, on Flickr

Front2 by Smithyithy, on Flickr

Comments etc welcome,

Cheers, Chris.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hell yeah, alot of flyers fans around here thats for sure. Im not too big into hockey i used to be into basketball was a big sixers fan back when iverson played. Once he left there was nobody on the team worth watching so gave that up as well.

Bikes and cars are basically it these days. Check out my thread for my 954 i just picked up let me know what you think of it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hell yeah, alot of flyers fans around here thats for sure. Im not too big into hockey i used to be into basketball was a big sixers fan back when iverson played. Once he left there was nobody on the team worth watching so gave that up as well.

Bikes and cars are basically it these days. Check out my thread for my 954 i just picked up let me know what you think of it
Ah cool :) yeah man I will do, love 954's, definitely on my 'bikes to own' list, as well as a VTR1000 SP-2

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice bike mate, how did you get on with your test?
Where abouts in the uk are you from I've seen a similar bike kicking around locally

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice bike mate, how did you get on with your test?
Where abouts in the uk are you from I've seen a similar bike kicking around locally
Cheers dude, I'm from Walsall, so probably not mine you've seen around..

Passed my test! Forgot to post an update lol.. Yeah it went great, few minors but other than that fine.

Just been getting used to the bike really, had a few good rides out, went out today actually from Lichfield to Ashbourne with a couple of new lads, really good day to be honest, bike didn't skip a beat :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice one mate good stuff got family down your neck of the woods in northfield.got plans of a trip down there when my bike is sorted

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah cool, you'll have to drop me PM or something when you're down and see if we can meet up for a ride, there's a big meet on Tuesday nights not far from there on the other side of Brum called Bassett's Pole.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah that'd be cool, a couple of my lot have their licenses just need to get their arses in gear and buy bikes, ill get on their case lol.. Ill probably be down beginning of August if not before got some holidays coming on work.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Nice bike!

fyi, the exhaust collector is normally black painted steel, and yours is shiny stainless, which may mean go-faster, and definitely means less corrosion.

Also, there's not actually a regulation for number plate size, although not many people know that. Since yours is a 2-digit number, yours can be smaller. The regulation is for the text size, spacing, and margins. Looks to me like your plate is 100% legal, although the bold text might only be 99%.

I used to have 2 CB-1s, which is that engine in a naked bike. Wicked engine, the cam gear whistle is so high-tech sounding, but from 1989!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I always liked the Sixers as well when Iverson was there. Dude was a rocket!
I'm a Cleveland native though, and the Cavs are my boys, but cars and bikes are my passion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts