Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First forum that came up when I googled, hope you guys and gals can be of some help for me with my first bike.

It's a 1997 CBR600F3 with 48xxx kilometres on it, before purchasing the shop was fixing a couple things up on it and every time I went to see it at the shop it started up fine. With that being said now that I have it at home, it fails to hold a charge. Basically if I'm out driving and I stall the bike, it will start up fine, but once it's been sitting for awhile (an hour or so) it won't start up. However, when I turn the key into the on position the headlights and everything come on, so there has to be some juice left in the battery maybe just not enough to let it turn over.

The second and last problem is when turn the handle bars all the way to the right or left there is no lock, I'm not sure if there is supposed to be a lock but essentially if I turn to far to the left the side of the windscreen support/fairing will push the front brake in which could cause disastrous problems if I took a hard left at a high speed. If there is supposed to be a lock, how do I go about fixing it/what parts are involved.

Input would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for your help.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
First forum that came up when I googled, hope you guys and gals can be of some help for me with my first bike.

It's a 1997 CBR600F3 with 48xxx kilometres on it, before purchasing the shop was fixing a couple things up on it and every time I went to see it at the shop it started up fine. With that being said now that I have it at home, it fails to hold a charge. Basically if I'm out driving and I stall the bike, it will start up fine, but once it's been sitting for awhile (an hour or so) it won't start up. However, when I turn the key into the on position the headlights and everything come on, so there has to be some juice left in the battery maybe just not enough to let it turn over.

The second and last problem is when turn the handle bars all the way to the right or left there is no lock, I'm not sure if there is supposed to be a lock but essentially if I turn to far to the left the side of the windscreen support/fairing will push the front brake in which could cause disastrous problems if I took a hard left at a high speed. If there is supposed to be a lock, how do I go about fixing it/what parts are involved.

Input would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for your help.

Get a multimeter and a workshop manual and check voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running. Then do the resistance and continuity tests on the charging system to determine if the stator or regulator have failed of it it's a loose connection somewhere.

The only time you'll find the brake lever hitting the fairing is at very low speeds although a big tankslapper could cause it to hit which would only make the problem worse :)
You should have lock stops on the top front of the lower fork clamp but I can't recall what they work against on the frame.
Perhaps a photo might indicate that something else is non-stock like the clip-ons for example.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts