Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I thought I could have posted this in either the Sale section or the Review Ride section but since I'm not necessarily selling the bike I thought I would just post here...

I am still considered a beginner when riding a motorcycle; my license means nothing with less then 150 miles as my "experience". When I ride my 2002 CBR954 I am not really confident. And sometimes it seems that I am working against my bike more so then actually riding it.

I posted the bike on craigslist [SF Bay Area] just to test waters for a trade to a smaller CC bike.

Wondering, what do you guys think? Should I keep my bike and gain riding experience using it? Or trade for a smaller bike? I really like this bike, but like I said, I don't feel as confident on it as I think I should. If anyone has a trade or helpful advice it is greatly welcomed!

Thanks everyone happy/safe riding and Happy Holidays! :thumb:

By the way, I don't know if this matters but I learned how to ride on this bike. Sort of a sentimental value to it. :D

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't know for sure but I think you're going to run into the same problem on any bike, unless you are just a smaller guy that may be more comfortable on something that sits lower in the seat. I think you ought to keep it, I mean you just learned to ride, I think thats the culprit of it all. These things take time, you just need to go where there is very light traffic and get as much practice as possible, it will come to you!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm not the tallest guy, 5'9 130 pounds...Hella skinny :rotfl:But thanks, I will most definitely keep at it. It's mostly when I turn I feel the bike pulling me around lol. :idunno: Plus the throttle is way more sensitive then the baby bikes at the beginner riders course. Every time I twist my wrist I look like :D. 954 has so much power!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes, I'm not the tallest guy, 5'9 130 pounds...Hella skinny :rotfl:But thanks, I will most definitely keep at it. It's mostly when I turn I feel the bike pulling me around lol. :idunno: Plus the throttle is way more sensitive then the baby bikes at the beginner riders course. Every time I twist my wrist I look like :D. 954 has so much power!
:D :D Exactly why you don't want a smaller bike:eek: This way when you are good and use to it, you got the power. Being new to bikes just gives you that funny feeling while turning, just got to lean into it and go with the flo.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
in the end you will do what you want, but it would probably be best to drop to a 600 or maybe a 500...they will let you learn properly

or maybe like a f4i, zzr or sv650...i think those would suit you nicely, and they all have more then enough power

be careful and enjoy regardless

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, I really appreciate all the feedback. I'd like to get a few more responses from a couple more experienced riders. Some say go with it and others say drop down a notch or two. But Your right the decision is ultimately mine.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Thanks, I really appreciate all the feedback. I'd like to get a few more responses from a couple more experienced riders. Some say go with it and others say drop down a notch or two. But Your right the decision is ultimately mine.
right, i learned on my 250 then bought a 900rr....world of difference, i still cant really lean the thing like i should with 3 years experience give or take, im hoping the 929 will be better for me and i plan on getting a newer 600 (more then likely a rr or a 636, love the looks) to take to the track and get faster :smilebig:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, here's my opinion, go ahead and hate me. I'd keep the bike (if you can afford to) and buy a small bike to learn on. you can pick up small bikes all day long, and their resale value doesn't really change much. Ride the hell out of the small bike until you are very comfortable on it, then sell it off and buy a slightly larger one. Do the same with that, and once you are comfortable with that one, you should be ready for the Blade. Now that's just my opinion. I've been riding for 30 years or so, started off with dirt bikes, then enduro's and eventually street bikes. My first street bike was a cb200, and that was my 4th bike in total. I don't pretend to know what's right for you, only you can figure that one out Bro, but the only way to gain confidence is to ride, but if you aren't comfortable enough to ride the bike you have, then you'll never gain confidence.
Let me tell you the story about my wife. She really wanted to learn to ride, so I taught her to, she went out and took the MSC, got her license and started looking for a bike. She decided on a vulcan 900. I tried to talke her out of it because I thought that a 900 (even a twin) is too much for a first bike. After about 2 weeks, she sold it and went looking for a 600, and found a Honda VLX. She rode that very little over the next few months, and sold it off, swearing off bikes completely. About 6 months later, she was talking about riding again, so I took matters into my own hands, and bought her a ninja 250. (those little things handle like a dream!). She now rides all the friggin time, and her skills are improving dramatically, along with her confidence. She is now looking into a 600cc sport bike, and can't wait to find the right one. Now she has confidence, experience and actually looks forward to riding...and that's the goal isn't it? To look forward to the next ride?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
You should never feel totally comfortable on a bike, however if youre not comfortable nor confident enough to just ride it around and lean it over, get off. There is no sense in pushing through it, since it may end poorly.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Some people seem to start off OK on a liter-class bike although I've never seen such a rider with my own eyes so how well they actually turn out I don't know. I started off on a 600 and I would say a 600 is definitely more suitable as a first bike. Of course others that started out on a larger bike and now ride fine will say otherwise.

Also sports bikes are not designed for beginners - when they are built, they are designed to go as fast around a track as possible, not to be learner friendly.

Really it's up to you. 150 miles of riding is nothing, it'll take you a hell of a lot longer to get anywhre near competent. When I went fron my 600 to my 900 it was like a different world - so much more power! It took me about a year to get on with my 900, after 3 years of previous riding. I almost sold it as I was getting fed up with it, but I'm glad I didn't :evilaugh: .

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
My 2C
I like mads idea if you can afford it. I definitely would go for a smaller bike as it wont be such a handfull and it will build up your confidence. Also a smaller bike will give you all the riding experience that your ever going to need. A 600 sport bike is no slow coach and many a good 600 rider will keep up with a litre bike no problem. As Solice has mentioned the sv650 is a brilliant bike to learn on and they are easy to sell on as there are many peeps like your self needing to learn and gain experience.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sorry shoebox, hope I didn't give you all the wrong info, guess I have forgotten what its like to be a new rider. It would be nice if you could just test ride some of the smaller ones to see how much of a difference its really going to make to you. Good Luck and be SAFE!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again everyone for the responses and helpful 2cents! I am seriously considering trading my bike for a 500-600cc. I can definitely "handle" the 954. But I think I should start daily riding a more manageable bike.

If anyone knows someone who is willing to trade for my 954, please PM me or email me. [email protected] Like I stated before, the bike is already on craigslist, but I've gotten some [I think] pretty crappy trade offers. :rolleyes: I know my bike isn't the prettiest out there, but damn, some of these trades look like someone dragged them through hell and back- some look like they are still there. Straight trade, for that?! :eek:

I wouldn't mind another streetfighter, and I'd like to preferably stick to the CBRs. Always loved them. But anyways, just word of mouth, if you guys know someone who'd like to own a 954 and has a smaller bike they'd like to trade, let me know! Thanks a lot everyone.

Here are a few pictures, just incase. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Thanks again everyone for the responses and helpful 2cents! I am seriously considering trading my bike for a 500-600cc. I can definitely "handle" the 954. But I think I should start daily riding a more manageable bike.

If anyone knows someone who is willing to trade for my 954, please PM me or email me. [email protected] Like I stated before, the bike is already on craigslist, but I've gotten some [I think] pretty crappy trade offers. :rolleyes: I know my bike isn't the prettiest out there, but damn, some of these trades look like someone dragged them through hell and back- some look like they are still there. Straight trade, for that?! :eek:

I wouldn't mind another streetfighter, and I'd like to preferably stick to the CBRs. Always loved them. But anyways, just word of mouth, if you guys know someone who'd like to own a 954 and has a smaller bike they'd like to trade, let me know! Thanks a lot everyone.

Here are a few pictures, just incase. :)
check out f4i, 600rr, ninja 650r, sv650, zzr, 636 or zx6...plenty of options out there, or try selling the bike for about...$3100 maybe? actually i think there is a naked 650r...i think...er-6n? or the aprilla shiver 750

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
check out f4i, 600rr, ninja 650r, sv650, zzr, 636 or zx6...plenty of options out there, or try selling the bike for about...$3100 maybe? actually i think there is a naked 650r...i think...er-6n? or the aprilla shiver 750

Thanks I will definitely keep an eye out. Until then, I will be riding the 954, trying to tame the beast. :D

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
I was thinking along your lines Oh Masterful Being...........nothing wrong with your choices at all

dont do a 500..no no no get a naked sv650 if u like that style god its such fun, i still long after mine mmm maybe get a cheap one for touring.

Oh solice got an offer of an sv650 recently it would have torn the pants of the blade............racing one.......shame it would have cost to put on road

·
Registered
56 Posts
If it's the power that scares you, get a 600. If it's feeling like you don't have full control of the bike, especially in the corners, keep the 954. Once you get a couple thousand miles under your belt, those feelings will go away. The lack of confidence in corners is because you are new to riding.

The best thing i did to gain confidence was to ride as much as possible. Hit a twisty at a moderate speed, and play with the throttle. (dont chop the throttle, or wildly gas the bike, thats a bad idea) Let off the throttle a little, and take notice to how the bike stops leaning and turns much wider, give a little more throttle, and notice how the bike starts to lean harder and turn sharper. pay attention to what you are doing with your hands. If you push the right bar the bike leans right, push the left bar and it leans left. Ride the clutch during low speed turns.

You should see if you have a beginners riding school near you. I took a motorcycle safety class after already knowing how to ride and actually learned a lot. I would do this before making up your mind. I took this class a few days before buying my buell. it took me 2 weeks to get used to it, and to get the chicken strips to less than 5mm. This was after not riding for 5 years, and only being a kickstand rider before i picked it up again. The more your ride, the better you get at it.

Oh yea, you say your a skinny guy, so make sure your suspension is set up for your weight. It can make a world of difference in the feel of the bike. I know because i'm 6' and 150lbs... Pretty skinny myself.:thumb:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it's the power that scares you, get a 600. If it's feeling like you don't have full control of the bike, especially in the corners, keep the 954. Once you get a couple thousand miles under your belt, those feelings will go away. The lack of confidence in corners is because you are new to riding.

The best thing i did to gain confidence was to ride as much as possible. Hit a twisty at a moderate speed, and play with the throttle. (dont chop the throttle, or wildly gas the bike, thats a bad idea) Let off the throttle a little, and take notice to how the bike stops leaning and turns much wider, give a little more throttle, and notice how the bike starts to lean harder and turn sharper. pay attention to what you are doing with your hands. If you push the right bar the bike leans right, push the left bar and it leans left. Ride the clutch during low speed turns.

You should see if you have a beginners riding school near you. I took a motorcycle safety class after already knowing how to ride and actually learned a lot. I would do this before making up your mind. I took this class a few days before buying my buell. it took me 2 weeks to get used to it, and to get the chicken strips to less than 5mm. This was after not riding for 5 years, and only being a kickstand rider before i picked it up again. The more your ride, the better you get at it.

Oh yea, you say your a skinny guy, so make sure your suspension is set up for your weight. It can make a world of difference in the feel of the bike. I know because i'm 6' and 150lbs... Pretty skinny myself.:thumb:

Thanks a lot man, I think your right. I'm probably going to keep it. I mean the power isn't the issue. I figure if I don't push it and mess around beyond my abilities and I should be fine. I don't often push myself as I did when I was younger.

I am going to get the suspension tuned pretty soon. Once the new year hits. I heard that's really important.

Yes I also took a two wheel safety riders course. It was very helpful. Those 200-250cc bikes are very boring, but they are very easy to use. But what is life without a little challenge? :) Oh, and I am working on throttle control too! The rear cog is big, I'm not sure how many teeth, but I need to lower it to get back to stock. Or is the bigger one fine? I was told the bigger rear cog the more torque, is this true? Should I get it back to stock?:idunno:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts