Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am thinking of changing the chain and sprockets on my 929. I have never done this before but I'm just going to follow the manual. Does anyone have any tips? also is it a very difficult job and should i leave it to a mechanic? thanks

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
1.don't use a master link, use the rivet tool to put the chain link on at the end. It's a lot more safer.
2. keep the old chain and measure the new chain with it before you're ready to cut. it could be an expensive mistake.
3. get an X ring chain.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The key to doing it yourself is the "right tool(s)". Plan on buying a proper tool like one from "motion pro" or "RK". The second thing to do is replace your countershaft cog and rear sprocket at the same time. Count the number of links on the old chain and order the length with your preference of X or O ring. Yes, do use a "rivet link" which is another reason to buy the correct tool. The Honda manual does have one important piece of information, the "diameter" and height of the rivet link
after you smash it down without getting the master link tooo tight. And oh by the way, make sure that when you are threading the new chain around the new countershaft cog, that you don't get too agressive. New chains tend to want to ride over the cog (gear) and there is very little space between the gear and the expensive engine case if this happens---make sure that you have the master link/rivet installed and make sure that you hand turn the rear tire and watch the chain and gear mesh properly before you put the front gear cover on.
Sugoi8

1 - 3 of 3 Posts