Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of tooling around on BolDors and GL1000 s I am considering 99CBR900 as everyday ride. 3 owners 70000km machine in well serviced condition. At 59years of age I'm mindful of ergonomics is there any other considerations forum members could advise

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,352 Posts
Welcome to FB.org! The 99 was the most “ergonomically sound” 900 there was. Even though it relieved some stress on the
back and wrists, it still can take a toll. Look for Heli bars. I know a bunch of guys who’ve used them back in the day. There might be some still kicking around. The peg to seat height is manageable, but could be lowered with custom plates made to mount them to. Post some pics of your new ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to FB.org! The 99 was the most “ergonomically sound” 900 there was. Even though it relieved some stress on the
back and wrists, it still can take a toll. Look for Heli bars. I know a bunch of guys who’ve used them back in the day. There might be some still kicking around. The peg to seat height is manageable, but could be lowered with custom plates made to mount them to. Post some pics of your new ride.
That's a link to auction site. I'll have a look at it and get back to you

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Surprised it's advertised as a '2001'. Looks a good bike though. I think it's high kilometres for a bike that the owner has had for 3 years and claims he doesn't have time to ride it. Plus side is that it appears well-maintained. I am a 'serial' bike buyer and have difficulty with the 'don't have time to ride it' excuse as a possible cover up for an underlying problem. When we love motorcycling we will always have or make time. Perhaps I'm too pessimistic of the selling fraternity!!

I haven't ridden a '99, but I do have a 2001 and 2003 and 2018 and can say that the fit has become progressively 'tighter' over the years. As a 5'9" (175 cms) fit, supple, and healthy hunk of a man:cool:, I have no probs with ergonomics. I think we expect a bit of pressure on the wrists when we choose these bikes. All in all, the bikes are great and bullet proof, PLUS well kept will see you not losing a cent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surprised it's advertised as a '2001'. Looks a good bike though. I think it's high kilometres for a bike that the owner has had for 3 years and claims he doesn't have time to ride it. Plus side is that it appears well-maintained. I am a 'serial' bike buyer and have difficulty with the 'don't have time to ride it' excuse as a possible cover up for an underlying problem. When we love motorcycling we will always have or make time. Perhaps I'm too pessimistic of the selling fraternity!!

I haven't ridden a '99, but I do have a 2001 and 2003 and 2018 and can say that the fit has become progressively 'tighter' over the years. As a 5'9" (175 cms) fit, supple, and healthy hunk of a man:cool:, I have no probs with ergonomics. I think we expect a bit of pressure on the wrists when we choose these bikes. All in all, the bikes are great and bullet proof, PLUS well kept will see you not losing a cent.
Thank you for the considered opinion. I agree with the 'don't have time to ride' being a bit suss but the proof is in the pudding and I'm going to inspect today. Hope it rides as good as it looks. It is old and milage is up there but that's why it's cheap (cheaper than anything either newer or older as it happens). I figure if it becomes uneconomic to keep on the road it's still well worth it as a track bike. Listen to me I'll be 60 next year....and I've never been on a track. Oh well I could go cruising (posing?) on a Harley but I still enjoy performance handling

·
Registered
176 Posts
i'm sorry, cheap? my blade was 2100 and that was with a new set of shoes with it.

i've got 2 herniated disks and i've been shot in the shoulder and i can ride my 97 blade with the stock clipons and seat for a few hours before running into any issues.the older ones are surprisingly comfortable. i tried a new one and couldn't cut it for 30 minutes.

"no time to ride" is a bunch of hooey. i don't have much time to rid outside of commuting and i still put 3500 miles on my bikes last year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm sorry, cheap? my blade was 2100 and that was with a new set of shoes with it.

i've got 2 herniated disks and i've been shot in the shoulder and i can ride my 97 blade with the stock clipons and seat for a few hours before running into any issues.the older ones are surprisingly comfortable. i tried a new one and couldn't cut it for 30 minutes.

"no time to ride" is a bunch of hooey. i don't have much time to rid outside of commuting and i still put 3500 miles on my bikes last year.
2100usd is about 3k kiwi dollars but I'm not so keen on it after test ride. Don't know what I was expecting but I just felt intimidated by the beast and although I could imagine it as a long distance mount w risers, having fun on it... I'm too out of practice, been five years since I've been on a decent bike. And there's a world of difference between pushing a BolDor to the edge and what the hell speed you'd have to run to press limits on a blade.
I've decided if I'm going to be spending any dollars on a bike I should seriously consider my lack of recent experience and buy a Husqvarna 701 Svartpilen! Fun and big enough for a small country like New Zealand

·
Registered
176 Posts
what did you find intimidating? it's only 123 at the crank and i've found it doesn't wheelie (with my fat ass on) by accident. maybe being upside down keeps you folks smaller.. the 16" front makes it feel less stable in a straight line but makes it corner with ease. i could see that being a bit intimidating as i've found myself really hammering it in some corners out of shear bliss.

i think a healthy respect for the bike when you're starting on it is a good thing but as you get the miles under you, i don't think you'll be as concerned. the svartpilen is a fun ride as long as you don't think it'll leave you wanting in a few months riding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that's a fair alternative!o_O;)
Cheers, especially since they've knocked a third off the price. But more importantly I have to get that at my age I should be kind to myself, realistic re my ability and I can't justify such a weapon.
I'm reminded of when I was a born again biker twenty years ago, the salesman directed me to a SV650 but I rode out on a RGV150, jetski on wheels, fun as but it was at the end of 100mph.
At the end of the day bike purchase shouldn't be fraught, value for money, depreciation, image, mechanical inspection etc, it should be fun so after sober reflection I must now discontinue consideration of SERIOUS sports machinery. You blade runners have my un DIE ing respect. o_O

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what did you find intimidating? it's only 123 at the crank and i've found it doesn't wheelie (with my fat ass on) by accident. maybe being upside down keeps you folks smaller.. the 16" front makes it feel less stable in a straight line but makes it corner with ease. i could see that being a bit intimidating as i've found myself really hammering it in some corners out of shear bliss.

i think a healthy respect for the bike when you're starting on it is a good thing but as you get the miles under you, i don't think you'll be as concerned. the svartpilen is a fun ride as long as you don't think it'll leave you wanting in a few months riding.
Oh I agree it rides smooth and I would still consider it as a practical if slightly cramped tourer - maybe put the clip on above the yolk, tank bag to rest on. Otherwise my 3 3.5k buys xj900 poor condition bandit. I'd have less trouble with the blade. It even has a boot in it's baboon red bum. Probably needs some attention to the forks the ride didn't seem so compliant, more dampening or whatever. On my Cb900 I'd just pull into a servo and chuck some air into the forks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts