Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I definitely want to get into racing this year. I am going to get another bike because I am deathly afraid of crashing the 954. I'm not really worried about crashing, just junking the bike.

I was looking in the local want ads and such and have seen many ex500's for sale under 1,000 bucks. Will this be a good bike to start racing? I figure after a few years I'll have enough experience and the 954 will be old anyways so I can switch to the big bikes!

What do you guys who race think?? Should I just grow a pair and race the 954? Either way, I'm definitely doing it. I've been talking about it forever. I finally have the money and the time!

Mark

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Maybe a cheap 600. I started on a 929. That was an awesome thing to learn to race on. But I'm guessing they'll be more than $1000. hahha

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I don't race but from what I have heard and seen around forums lately an SV650 would be the way to go. I'm sure some of the racers around here will chime in.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
FInd out what association you want to race in, and see what classes they have. Some have dedicated EX500 classes. Otherwise you'll probaly be in a lightweight twins or something.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Late F2s through early F4s are good. EXs are nice but you might want more power depending on some tracks.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
My friend just got an SV650 nicely set up for the track in the low 2000 range... I would suggest that as a good start.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think you might have trouble getting modern race rubber for the EX because they have odd size rims. The SV is a good way to go.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The 954 is going to rip through some tires one of your major cost of racing. A older 600 is still going to go through a set faster that a small bike like a SV,FZR,EX or a two-stroke. If you get a SV get one that is already race ready.WERA

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd go with the sv650. The ex will get smoked, period. The older 600s are going to get smoked by the new 600s. The 600 class is freaking INSANE, I made the mistake of racing up with my sv once (had to prove to one of my friends I could beat him). Never again. The sv is very competitive (I beat several RC51s, 996s in the supertwins classes) and it's cheap, replacement parts are easy to get, the tires are about $50-60 cheaper a set than the 600 rubber, the list goes on.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Tires are easy to get for an EX.

·
Registered
101 Posts
All the bikes mentioned are good choices. I guess it depends on what you want spend. From the original post it seems as if would want something very cheap. Keep in mind "Cheap isn't always cheap" if you know what I mean. Look around for a good deal but price ranges are generally:

Under 2k - EX500, GS 500, maybe FZR400
2k-4k - FZR 400, F2-F4, SV650, GSXR600 '99 & older, 125GP

This is just a general list. I'm sure there are more bikes that fit into these ranges, I just can't think of them right now. :huh: There will be bikes that you'll find out of these ranges(Higher or lower), but the majority are within them :thumb:

·
Registered
871 Posts
rawrider said:
All the bikes mentioned are good choices. I guess it depends on what you want spend. From the original post it seems as if would want something very cheap. Keep in mind "Cheap isn't always cheap" if you know what I mean. Look around for a good deal but price ranges are generally:

Under 2k - EX500, GS 500, maybe FZR400
2k-4k - FZR 400, F2-F4, SV650, GSXR600 '99 & older, 125GP

This is just a general list. I'm sure there are more bikes that fit into these ranges, I just can't think of them right now. :huh: There will be bikes that you'll find out of these ranges(Higher or lower), but the majority are within them :thumb:
i agree, get the sv or a 600 and build it slowly.i rode a 600 and loved the light weight. I wanted the power of the 929 because i love the rush you get from speed, so i bought a 750 suzuki.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts