Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Ive had my bike inside for 2 weeks, doing some small changes here and there, nothing major at all. I have had the HTEV cables disconnected from it, but now decided to remove the cables from the servo on the left hand side. Well stupid me, I didnt make sure I didnt move the servo, so it was not in the neutral position it was when i last turned the bike off. Tonight, I started the bike, came right up, then was throwing code 34/35, the HTEV/intake code. I didnt think much of it, because I knew this it had come on. I went to see if the servo moved at all, and it didnt at any point. Damn i thought, ill have to live with a light flashing in my face. (I have yet to do the flapper mod, I know, the engine will 'starve' above 8,000 rpm at the time.)

More importantly. I got on, rode down the street, turned right, the speedo reading went out and rpm needle dropped. I figured I have a lose connection because it immediately came back on. Yet with it, a new surprise, a solid red light. I looked the MIL ID, and it can be all sorts of things:

No blinks

Open circuit at the power input wire of the
ECM
Faulty bank angle sensor
Open circuit in bank angle sensor related
circuit

Faulty engine stop relay
o
• Open circuit in engine stop relay related
wires
Faulty engine stop switch
Open circuit in engine stop switch related
wires

Faulty ignition switch

Faulty ECM

Blown PGM-F1 fuse (20 A)

Open circuit in engine stop switch ground • Blown sub-fuse (10 A) (Starter/ignition) •
Engine does not start
5-90

but my engine certainly does start, and it rides as always. I have yet to test fuses, and i will check the engine kill switch as well.

My question: Is there something that will cause code 34 to suddenly become code 0? Do i have both codes? Helpppp

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update: I went back to check a few things but decided to see what happens in N and what happens in gear.
Again, my first light, so im not sure if this is how it goes. It throws code 34/35 in N with the kickstand down, if it's up, solid red, and up and in gear, solid red. Is this how the MIL light works? it throws a code only in N/parked and will simply be lit red when its being "driven"?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and another; after reading around here, maybe i shouldve before, but i was a bit worried, is it possible to reset the servo in a position where the ecu doesnt throw a code? I dont need it to rotate, since the HTEV is wired open and ill do the flapper tomorrow. Also, some people are saying the MIL with flash as soon as the key is turned to "on" with the kill switch in the "not run" position. But mine doesnt flash until the bike is running. As before, the red light is on solid before start, but that is nothing new since it is yet to be primed. Code is only flashing when bike is on the its stand.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think thats normal with the sidestand, the manual says the codes should be read with the sidestand down and the run/stop switch to run.
I'm not totally sure of what you've done with the exhaust valve from what you've said. Could you have connected it up wrong and burnt out the servo and the codes are just telling you that? As far as I know people who have removed the exhaust valve have left the servo on the bike and plugged in, but without cables to stop the MIL flashing all the time. If yours is plugged in and flashing maybe it's knackered?​

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill be a little more clear. 2 weeks ago, the servo still had the cables connected to it that ran down to the htev, but they werent connected to the valve- so no chance of stripping anything. The servo was turning just fine at 3k and 8k. Then, i decided to just pull the cables since they were useless just dangling by my exhaust. The first cable came off great and easy, the second one forced me to rotate the servo by hand approx 1/4 turn. Thats all that happened. Im about to go test if the servo is getting voltage, if yes, check if the servo is alright

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the resistance across the servo, yellow/red (+) and green/orange (-) is about 3.2k ohms. Standard is five. Seems that somewhere in the process on moving the cable, i broke the servo, is this possible?
Also, when you have a code in N on its stand, is it normal for the light to be light solid while riding??

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would have thought it would just reset itself, to find it's position, like most other servo's. If you didn't break it when you moved it, but think that unlikely when you did it by hand, then maybe moving it back to the position it was? Or erasing the fault, maybe it cuts power to the servo when there's an error to prevent it burning out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah, I think the MIL is working properly, I think the servo is the problem. It would be a bummer to have to buy a servo if your not going to use it!
I wonder if you put resistors in the end of the plug that the servo plugs into, wether it would fool the ecu into thinking it was still plugged in. I doubt it's that simple, but it would save money.

·
Registered
147 Posts
There's probably a number of faults that could cause a drop in resistance, but where coils are concerned(in the electric motor) the unsulation can break down on the wire in the coil and short out on the one next to it, shortening the path for the current, so reducing the resistance.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the response. I think im gonna live with it for the time being. I might just buy one from ebay. Ive thought about putting resistors in, but since the voltage changes at different rpms, itll just throw a code then.

sorry, i keep asking, with a fault, the light blinks with ignition 'on' and 'run', while riding though, should the light be lit solid?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I copied this out of the Honda manual, although it's not that clear itself!

The malfunction
indicator lamp
(MlL) will start
blinking only with
the side stand
down and with
the engine off
(engine stop
switch in RUN) or
engine revs are
below 5,000 rpm
In any other conditions,
the Mli
wili illuminate and​
stay on

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, i read that, which makes sense. Im 95% sure the light is just lit while riding, it doesnt make sense for it to throw another code suddenly while riding, right?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah, from what they're saying I think the light should be solid if the stand is up. At least it doesn't distract you while riding. Try deleting the fault and putting the servo back on, you never know...

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i rode 200 miles last night and today without any issues/annoyances from the light. Ill look for a good deal on ebay to find one to get the light off but til then, no worries!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so i just ran a 12V to the servo, and it spins like it should. The resistance across it is still 3.2 Ohms, is this a servo problem or something in the circuit to it??

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is it the new servo you've tested and it's giving the same resistance as the old one? If thats the case maybe they're both good. Does the new one work properly on the bike?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have not received the new one. I figured i might as well follow the procedure for code 35 just for fun. I hooked up the old servo, that worked for me two weeks ago, then suddenly threw the code, and it worked perfectly. Now im just confused. The thing spins fine, has too little resistance through it though. The manual says if the resistance is too low, its faulty. So im just guessing it is.

Can someone take a resistance reading across their orange/green and red/yellow wire in the 6P connector? Should be 5k Ohms.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today i learned about the 'Self-Diagnosis Reset'. I used my old servo, plugged it back in, shorted the 'service check connector' and followed the procedure. Then, a miracle, no more light. Woo --> back to having a servo dangling there though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts