Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning my first track day at Jennings on Nov 8th and I was hoping I could throw out some questions and maybe people that have been there could help me out? What are the camp areas like , I was planning on camping? I am about 4 hours away, Should I get there late friday night and stay somewhere close and get an early start or should I just leave from my house very very early on saturday morning and get there around 10?. I will have to go through the novice routine and that will take some time. Here is the big Question,,, is one day of riding enough, or should I plan to stay for sunday as well? Any other advice would be welcome, thia is my first track day. About 10 - 15 people I ride with are going that weekend and this should be allot of fun, I am busting at the seams with excitment...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm still a novice at this, but I'll bet you will want to stay a 2nd day, so plan for it. The only other thing that comes to mind is don't get into a d!ck measuring match with all those freinds. Go at your own pace and don't get in over your head or you could wind up on it. (I already did)
Bill

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
first, you're getting ready to become addicted!    Congrats!

Second, just get there friday night and camp AT THE TRACK.  You can camp 2 feet away from your pit pad.  If you get there and the gate is locked, usually, someone there is a regular and has a key.  If not, you can always camp right outside the gate.  I think the gate closes at 10pm.

Third, I think you'll be mentally and physically EXHAUSTED after one day of riding at the track.  I don't know if you'll be ready to go a second day.  It really is that demanding.  I say go friday night, ride saturday, hang out with your buds saturday night, and get up sunday morning.  If you feel up to riding, pay and ride, otherwise, you can head back home with your new addiction!

You're gonna love it!  Get some of your pics when you go and report back after your event!  

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info that helped allot. I go on weekend atv rides a few times a year and it is exhasting, This is going to be an expensive weekend so I think I will probably ride just 1 day, I did not have leathers so I rented them from Kneedraggers and they shouyld arrive on the 6th,, hope they fit

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I agree with ccwilli. I'd want to get there for the orientation and rider's meeting before 9. For the first time there, you want to know all you can about the operation of the day. Flags, sessions and such. The novice group will be very tame and will have no passing for the first session. Get with a control rider for the first few sessions to get some help with the line. Whatever you do, don't get sucked into a hot turn behind someone who may have some hot set up under his bike that you won't be able to hold behind him. Ride your ride and by all means, take it easy through turn 8. Most of the crashes happen there, mine included, and it's the slowest turn on the track. Watch the white patch in the asphault seam in the middle of the line in 8. You'll be hooked and buying leathers by monday.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I agree with Ccwilli...sign up for 1 day and see how you like it. Get there the night before, you don't want to be rushing around the day of the event. You should be rested and ready to enjoy every minute.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Yeah... What ccwilli3 said.

The only thing that I would add is to make sure you have fun! Ok two things... only worry about whats in front of you, don't take your eyes off the track to look over your sholder. When I was at Jennings with the 600RR group there was a guy there that was so concerned about what was coming up behind him that I can't imagine he had any fun at all. Ride your own ride and have fun!  

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
EXACTLY what cbr99xx said! Don't, under any circumstances look behind you! The guy in front of you could be stopping or ANYTHING could be happening...

You WON'T be in anyone's way. If you feel you are riding too slow, just keep on riding! Ride your own pace, if someone is riding faster than you, they'll come by! If they don't, or can't, then you weren't riding too slow for them afterall!

Just ride in YOUR comfort zone and you WILL have fun!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I just got back from a track day at Willow Springs, and I must say I am tired. I don't know if 2 days in a row would be doable for me. My 954 rocks! I couldn't believe all the different types of bikes I passed on the straights. The guy on the RC51 just laughed when I passed him. My new fuel map was without problems the entire day. I was the last one to leave the track as I was having so much fun. The wind was blowing pretty hard and the air was smokey from the fires, but the day was still great. You will have a great time.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Did anyone mention tires? If not, make sure your tires are in good shape or new. You will be going faster at the end of the day and don't want to crash due to worn out tires. Also, take it easy for the first few laps in order to heat the tires up.

I run about 30 psi front and rear. Set it before you go out and then leave it alone. Oh yeah, have fun! And remember, it's just a trackday; your not racing or getting paid. Welcome to the addiction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts