Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT A 1997 RRV BLADE AND HAVE BEEN TOLD BY LOCAL DEALER THAT IT NEEDS A NEW CAM CHAIN TENSIONER, RATHER THAN PAY THEM TO SUPPLY AND FIT I HAVE BOUGHT ONE ONLINE AND INTEND TO FIT MYSELF. IT LOOKS EASY IN THE HAYNES MANUAL BUT IS THERE ANYTHING I SHOULD BE AWARE OF WHEN FITTING THIS ? ANY ADVICE GRATEFULLY RECIEVED :) CHEERS NATHAN

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
make sure you make the tool that is needed (at least on my 600) as outlined in the manual for when you take it off.... actually now that I think about it more I'm not sure that you need to make that tool if you are replacing that tensioner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi IMATOPGUN just to let you know all went well though more fiddly than i imagined !!! simple but position made it awkward for getting tools in, and as someone else suggested tool does help though i used a thin screw driver

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
It should take less than 45 minutes for the total job. You just have to remove the right side mid fairing and I usually remove the metal bracket that attaches to the rear corner of that mid fairing too. Two bolts to pop the old one off, clean up the engine surface where the new one bolts up, install a new gasket, use the special made tool ( or thin blade screwdriver) to manually back the tensioner off, and then put in the two bolts, torque to spec. Remove the special tool or screwdriver, wrench on the end cap bolt with a new copper or aluminum washer and you're done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts