Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've just bought some replacement LED indicators for my blade - they are Motrax LAT3. The bike has some aftermarket iridium ones on it at the moment but the lens has faded.

I'm just wondering what connectors to buy in order to fit the new ones, I know I need a relay for each one to stop the high flash rate.

See the photos below that show the new indicators and the wiring of my existing ones. The connectors for the existing ones are too big to use. I'm wondering if I can buy a connector that fits onto the standard block, has a relay and then goes to small female connectors so I can just fit my new indicators straight on. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Alex

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Guys,

Well I figured it out and I've ordered some leads which use the existing connector. I actually tested the LED ones this morning though and as expected they are flashing too fast.

I realise I need to replace the relay, i'm keen to just buy one that's a simple plug and play fit. will this one work - LED BLOCK MOTORCYCLE INDICATOR FLASHER RELAY HONDA | eBay.

Also how many do I need to buy? does each indicator have it's own relay? replacing my bulb ones with LED is proving a costly exercise!

Cheers

Alex

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Actually there is a story about being able to just add a resistor to the line in order to stop the flashing speed. Well, slow it down I should say. I think people said they stuck 2k ohm resistors in series with the light's (ground?) and it slowed it back down to stock. May be worth a look since this would be drastically cheaper than the relays. If you do buy them, you have to get 2 I believe.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I think you can also replace the main flasher relay with an LED compatable one, you need both front and rear as LED then though. Im using 4 of the serial resisters on mine which is a little crazy... Will swap over to a single new flasher relay at some point!

·
Registered
297 Posts
As above, you will need 4 resistor blocks (1 per indicator) or just replace the relay, they are all plug and play & are available everywhere. Even on a some famous internet auction site.

The blue connectors on the bottom pic are not standard equipment on a motorbike & are not waterproof. They wont go wrong if they get wet but they will rust & eventually fail.

Again, goto ebay & look for waterproof connectors, there is a seller on the southcoast of UK that sells FIA powerboat connectors for just a couple of golden nuggets. (complete with instructions)

You will need a Molex crimping tool which, again, you can get from anywhere for sod all.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As above, you will need 4 resistor blocks (1 per indicator) or just replace the relay, they are all plug and play & are available everywhere. Even on a some famous internet auction site.

The blue connectors on the bottom pic are not standard equipment on a motorbike & are not waterproof. They wont go wrong if they get wet but they will rust & eventually fail.

Again, goto ebay & look for waterproof connectors, there is a seller on the southcoast of UK that sells FIA powerboat connectors for just a couple of golden nuggets. (complete with instructions)

You will need a Molex crimping tool which, again, you can get from anywhere for sod all.
Thanks Tony, I've just ordered some plug and play replacement relays. Quick question I'm assuming I just need one relay per set of indicators? and whereabouts is each relay located on the bike?

Cheers

Alex

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I just snipped off the connectors from the stock signals and soldered them onto the new signals when I swapped mine.

If you go the resistor route, DO NOT put them in series with the signals. It'll reduce the voltage to them, making them dimmer. Put the resistors in PARALLEL with the signals, thus keeping the voltage at the signals the full 12 volts. An electronic relay is a better way to go though - much cleaner, not wasting power, and potentially melting stuff with hot pieces of metal covered ceramic next to your wiring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts