Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Shoei XSPII is either coming up on or past 5 years of use. How important is it to replace helmets every half decade?

BTW, thinking about the RF1000 based on research on our beloved ORG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
Imagine which helmet you'd want to be wearing if you tucked the front at triple digits on your favorite road. The one that's out of date, or a fresh one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,657 Posts
I am currently going through the same thing, my Arai quantum is past its 5 years and I really "should" replace it. The lining has stretched a bit and the shell looks as if it has faded a bit(colour wise) I am hoping to get an edwards rep(rx-7 corsair) cutsom fitted shortly, but I will keep riding for now until the new one arrives.

Most tracks won't allow you on if you have an expired helmet, just as a heads up(dealing with that one too :p )
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,596 Posts
The thing I've noticed most about my helmets when they get old is that the fit gets looser as the lining gets packed out. I think there's some concern over the breakdown of the materials, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,179 Posts
:wstupid: agree with most of the above statements.. And the RF-1000 is a great helmet in my opinion....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,203 Posts
Supperconductor said:
My Shoei XSPII is either coming up on or past 5 years of use. How important is it to replace helmets every half decade?

BTW, thinking about the RF1000 based on research on our beloved ORG.
It's only as important as you feel your head is :rotfl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,848 Posts
Getting a new helmet every 5 years will keep you in the newest Snell standards. They change every 5 years ie. 1995, 2000, 2005.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
***SIGH*** Didn't need another expense this year but alas I guess can't rationalize this one away. Now to decide between the RF-1000 and the X11, hmmm.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
I've had an RF-1000 for a couple months now and love it. Upgraded from a very old KBC so it was quite a difference. As far as expenses go, you can get a pretty good deal on an RF-1000 that is a solid color.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
EDDIE110171 said:
Getting a new helmet every 5 years will keep you in the newest Snell standards. They change every 5 years ie. 1995, 2000, 2005.
New research data gathered up in the new Motorcyclist magazine says not so flattering things about the Snell standard as it relates to protection from head injury. The rationale used in the article made a lot of sense. Check it out before you buy another helmet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,203 Posts
And of course SNELL is calling :bs: Like everything else, its how you test, and what for often dictates your results. SNELL and DOT seem to judge performance on different perameters...which one is better, well that depends on how the helmet hit an object...something you never have control over in a crash.

PS: have you read SNELL's response? Its here: http://www.fireblades.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36726
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,568 Posts
I honestly can't even see getting 5 years out of a helmet. I've been riding for 5 1/2 years and have 3 helmets. My current one was manufactured in 6/02 and I'll probably be shopping for another one this winter. :idunno: It's my head. :twocents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,848 Posts
G-Force Junkie said:
And of course SNELL is calling :bs: Like everything else, its how you test, and what for often dictates your results. SNELL and DOT seem to judge performance on different perameters...which one is better, well that depends on how the helmet hit an object...something you never have control over in a crash.
Exactly, Snell uses a multiple impact test and the Motorcyclist magazine was a single.

Latebraking said:
New research data gathered up in the new Motorcyclist magazine says not so flattering things about the Snell standard as it relates to protection from head injury. The rationale used in the article made a lot of sense. Check it out before you buy another helmet.
If you can guarantee your accident will only have one impact then have at it, I'll stick with my Snell Shoei Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,839 Posts
Supperconductor said:
***SIGH*** Didn't need another expense this year but alas I guess can't rationalize this one away. Now to decide between the RF-1000 and the X11, hmmm.....

If your deciding between the RF1000 and the X11, go with the X11. Hands down it's a better helmet. I have an RF1000 Zemke and it looks real nice. Fit it decent and venting could be better. I wore an X11 the other night and what a difference. Better venting, more comfort, lighter, but it doesn't have as many options for colors/schemes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
Latebraking said:
The rationale used in the article made a lot of sense.
Not to me. I felt myself getting dumber as I read it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Even if protection isn't an issue, it seems like the padding and bottom seal (I don't know what you call that piece) pretty much fall apart well before 5 years. Not to mention how many times the damn helmet falls off your saddle and scratches when you're dumb enough to temporarily lay it there. :)
BTW I bought an ICON Mainframe helmet for a bargain through helmetsetc.com and couldn't be more tickled with it. It passes DOT & Snell so no issue there. The fit is great and the view better than ARAI because it doesn't have those dumb black vents on the face shield (just the right size to blank out a car.)
 
1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Top