Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, first I would like to thank china for manufacturing those crappy ignitions that don't match up or have the diode inside.
Bike now has spark and fires up
On to fuel system overhaul and source some bodywork.
Good thing there are a few fairing pieces lying around at the shop.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I got lucky my boss has every part known to man I have a spare engine, spare frame, spare radiator, and a few parts bikes in the back for good measure. Dang fuel pump doesn't seem like it's clicking on again but like Ian says, who needs it anyway. I'll prolly clean the carbs and tank tomorrow and gravity feed it from an IV source until I get it dialed. I tried to talk myself out of a tailswap but ended up snagging a 1000 tail for it. It's prolly gonna be a pain in the ass but it will look good in the end.
Long live the cbr900rr

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,271 Posts
The SC28 shouldn’t need an ignition with a diode. Did you add one, or was it just a bad ignition switch?

Also, please tell me the previous owner wasn’t riding it around with the rear brake caliper all jacked up like that 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Former stunt bike?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The SC28 shouldn’t need an ignition with a diode. Did you add one, or was it just a bad ignition switch?

Also, please tell me the previous owner wasn’t riding it around with the rear brake caliper all jacked up like that 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Former stunt bike?
Holy shit Ian thanks I did kind of notice that rear brake assembly but I was too busy trying to get it to run to pay much attention. Yes the previous owner put an EBay ignition in it however after some googling I came to the fact you stated regarding the lack of a diode. Thinking I had other problems I inspected the hack job wiring and found it was hard wired in incorrectly likely due to having the wrong plug. 10 minutes with the multimeter and I had spark. I don't think it was stunted, the owner said it was rebuilt 12,000 miles ago....enough blabber I'm just stoked to have my favorite bike back. I ditched the pump and gravity fed it...after I cleaned the tank and carbs of course. Still on the fence about the tailswap, I may just go with 96 front end and 98 rear so I can still ride a chick
Anyway, here is a short clip of the bike running after carb clean...running a lil rich which should lead to some nice flames and popping on decel.
Good to see you again Ian thanks for the help over the years.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today, I hopped into Miami to score some parts. I will fabricate the extra subframe to run the cbr1000rr tail while I ride it dressed like a 96. Also, I "wire brushed" the frame removing 30 years of gunk and scratches for that factory race look.
PICS.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Today I had the chance to begin fabrication of the spare subframe. After splitting it and chopping it, I eyeballed what seems to be the best height. I've seen a few if these done, if they are to low, it doesn't look good, if it's to high it looks like it from the UK.
Just kidding there fellas I dig the style you guys have over there.
Anyway, I will use the support spars that were removed to rivet everything together until I can get free time at the shop to weld er up.
I finished out the day riveting the whole thing together and now I have tank fitment issues that will take another day to figure out, but it's solid. I will mod the rear tank bolt area to accept new subframe when I make some brackets to support the tailsection. There is enough subframe left to ride a passenger so I will likely rock the bike like this while I own it...soon, paint and body

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Switched to a 600rr tail so I could use this solo over I found laying around. Also I don't know what model seat this is but after brainstorming I think it will work.
Scored some 98 tailsection and fender and stuff just in case I decide to back to stock but fingers crossed I can fabricate this proper enough

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Coming from you that is a huge compliment as I follow your work which is nothing less than fantastic.
Today, i began to reshape the seat pan to fit the existing subframe. It was cut and molded, steel brackets were fabbed and placed under the seat to bolt directly to the modded structure.
After i was satisfied with fitment, I ended with a recover with some honeycomb material that adds a littel extra horsepower.
vroom.
Finshed the day by trimming the undertray and mocking up seat before tapping bolt holes and fabbing brackets for tail.
The GSXR seat has a lower profile than the CBR seat, which counters the raised tailsection mod ending with a comfortable stock feel.
I will have to weld a tail light bracket to support the smoked tail i have so not looking forward to that as my welding is subpar.
Whups called it a 100rr there in my edit,guess I had one too many beers
Cheers

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought about automotive, maybe a candy or pearl.
then I thought about something really neat like marble.
In the end I decided to go with the old 30/30. It looks good from 30 feet away or for 30 seconds.
Just like every woman I have ever had the pleasure of spending time with.

work in progress

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yeah you know how it goes bro. You see her across the honky-tonk with a Marlboro light on her lips and you say to yourself...I'm going in for the kill....next thing you know you are wanting to chew your own arm of to escape her bedroom without waking it up....
It happens

1 - 18 of 18 Posts