Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble getting my 929 to start/stay running.

Here is the situation. I bought a 929 off my buddy 2 weeks ago that had been sitting in his garage for the last year. He did start it every so often just to "run it" to keep things lubed.

1. I bring it home change the oil and drain the gas and put new gas in and buy a new battery and charge it to full.
2. Once battery is good, I turn the key, fuel pump primes, hit the starter and it just cranks over and won't fire. This goes on for at least a week until I locate a plug wrench (bike didn't have one):mad:
3. Tonight I pull the plugs they are wet and black, I then clean them with a lighter and wire brush. Put 'em in and hit the starter BAM fires right off :thumb: for about 10 seconds then stalls:mad: hit the starter again and it wants to fire just doesn't quite catch.
4. Pull the plugs again clean but before I reinstall I hit the starter with a paper towel over the plug holes for couple seconds to maybe blow out any fuel in there. Put the plugs in and does the same thing just turns over and won't ignite:mad: .
Now here is the question, I just have the airbox sitting there without any rubber gaskets installed or the airbox screwed down, could this be the problem that it is getting to much air and the FI is sending to much fuel to compensate for the extra air?
Or are the plugs (NGK) just toast and I need new plugs plus the rubber gaskets around the airbox and seal it before I try to start with new plugs?

Sorry it's long just alot of info I wanted to get out to ya'll for some help.:D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy crap that was fast:D

Thats what I was thinking getting new plugs. So should the bike run without the airbox installed?:idunno:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will get new plugs. But should it run fine without the airbox "sealed tight" or do I need to seal everything up then start it?:idunno:

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Hold on a second. Did you notice having to disconnect a sensor located in the top of your airbox (white in color, right side)? If you disconnect that sensor the bike may tend to run funny, if run at all. I'd buy new plugs regardless, but when testing, make sure you have this sensor plugged in.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
DaveM said:
Holy crap that was fast:D

Thats what I was thinking getting new plugs. So should the bike run without the airbox installed?:idunno:
:huh: that wasn't fast, that took 4 minutes. people musta been slacking that day.

I'm not really sure of this but I bet iridium tip plugs don't deal too well with a wire brush (they seem kinda picky anyway, they get ruined if you try to gap them)

·
Banned
11 Posts
did you fix your bike??

you should just sell the thing. sounds like a lemon.

..:idunno: so how much you want for it. :eyebrows:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:mad: Watch your mouth, Honda doesn't make lemons:rotfl: :rotfl:

I haven't had a chance to get the plugs yet, but when I do she will run llike a top just like my last 4 Honda CBR's:thumb: Oh and no I don't want to sell her I only paid 1K for it with a clean title and all it really need is tires and some plastic and a little TLC. :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE!!!

Got the new NGK's in her and all new seals for the airbox, new air filter, butttoned her up today and hit the starter button and whammo, purring like a kitten:clap: :clap:

Thanks for all the help/tips!:thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts