Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, stupid question here.
02 954rr
Bought some cheesy ebay flushmounts and during install realized the stud on the back of the light wasn't long enough to pass thru the fairing. Also the shape of the light fit well but the fairing itself has no backer to keep the light tightened down. So i chalked it up to cheap lights and went with a set of best fitting Protons at a price of about $70. To my surprise they are basically the same exact design. I see on 600s the fairing has a solid backer, not an open hole that goes all the way in to my inside trim like on my 954. What am i missing here?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to be clear here is a pic of a 600 fairing. Its got a solid backing that the flush mount attaches to. My 954 does not have this. Just a hole that goes to the inner fairing. The OE blinker assembly goes through the outer fairing and is bolted to the inner fairing. Both sets of flush mounts i received seem like they'd work for the 600 but not my 954. I called High Tech Speed but nobody answers.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Don´t have my 954 home right now so can´t look at it. I change my this Spring with no problem i know.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take a look for me if you could. Not sure how i'm supposed to mount these. They would be inside the outer fairing

·
Registered
230 Posts
Take a look for me if you could. Not sure how i'm supposed to mount these. They would be inside the outer fairing
As soon as i get my bike back from Service i look it up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As soon as i get my bike back from Service i look it up.
Thank you, please let me know. I am surprised nobody else has dealt with flush mounts on their 954? Must have installed a giant washer or some type of backing (exposed) on the front outer face of the fairing???

·
Registered
9 Posts
On my 929 there was a hole I just bought flushmount turn signals n the back bolt is not long enough to go through. You have to fabricate a bracket that holds the light in place. Its a lot of work but love the way it makes the bike look rather then the turn signals sticking out 2 inches.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No your best bet would be to try n extend the bolt on the back of light. Weld a longer piece of threaded rod on bolt n then make it long enough to go through both fairing

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a follow up, I got em installed. Kind of made a mistake and didnt realize they are slightly larger than the opening so i was able to just use a nut and washer on the back side...lol. This is after I welded a 6-32 nut to a 3/16 coupling to a stud to pass thru both fairings. They dont fit great but good enough for me and Im pretty picky. They look sick and are super bright. I soldered the wires to the factory connections so everything came out real clean. The first set I messed with was smaller than the opening and would fall right inside the hole. They also had a plastic mounting stud which the wires passed thru so I was kind of at a loss with what to do. Almost tried to make a standoff bracket out of some 18g strapping I have laying here but would have been a pain since there isnt much room between the fairings. So all in all i do recommend the Proton lights but they are not a perfect fit as they are marketed. They do come with a little magnet you can use to "program" different effects, such as a couple different strobe effects and a fade effect, and they are blinding bright so i am pretty happy all in all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ya looks ok i was going with a sleek look so wanted mine flush with fairing. And if it didn't fit in the fairing you had it easy just needed a big easier on inside. I also purchased a bigger set with plastic screw so didn't use that n you get what you pay for. I don't mind taking time to make everything perfect good luck man

·
Registered
376 Posts
I put Protons on my 01'f4i and my 01' 929. I had no issues with the install. i would contact there customer support, some of the best customer support i have ever dealt with

1 - 15 of 15 Posts