Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Heavy-Dee : Quote (Mojave954 @ July 31 2003, 8:21am)Just saw that on the news, wow what a rush that would of been.  Wonder if he was thinking of Steve Austin...

Some piece of engineering there, mmmmm spec ops?
You know the military is interested.  Bet on it.
My bet would be the Seals and Rangers are already doing this. The engineering HAD to come from somewhere. The HALO gear he had one looks very 'familiar'.

·
Registered
113 Posts
RED BULL gives you Balls. Big ones at that jumping out of a perfectly good plane. What is the aerial equivalent of a squid.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Actually, the HALO and HAHO gear that the military uses is derived from civilian gear nowadays. HAHO (High Altitude High Open) jumps can start at 40,000 ft plus. This is almost 10,000 ft higher than this guy started. They can spend 40 or 50 minutes flying 20 miles or so with 100 pounds of gear.

Modern square parafoil 'chutes' can acheive a 20 to 1 glide ratio. For one mile of altitude you can glide 20 miles optimally.

Massive fun.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The chutes used by HAHO, at least they were when I used to skydive with them, were very large parafoils that were gray. They are very hard to see at night and very quiet. They can also carry a huge load, the wing that this guy was using doesn't look like it can carry much of a load. The special units also have parafoil package delivery systems that they can either have dropped alone or with the HAHO team. The package will then track to the transmitter.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Keith_929 : Actually, the HALO and HAHO gear that the military uses is derived from civilian gear nowadays.  HAHO (High Altitude High Open) jumps can start at 40,000 ft plus.  This is almost 10,000 ft higher than this guy started.  They can spend 40 or 50 minutes flying 20 miles or so with 100 pounds of gear.  

Modern square parafoil 'chutes' can acheive a 20 to 1 glide ratio.  For one mile of altitude you can glide 20 miles optimally.  

Massive fun.
I'm going to call on a 20:1 glide ratio. No way. Paragliders are only in the 3:1 to 6:1 range, and those are huge wings, not able to be deployed in freefall. Old round canopys were 1:1, and most modern rectangular ram air canopys are are 3:1. My Safire 189 (189 sq foot, 9 cell, semi-eliptical) canopy with a wing loading of 1.2 to 1 is right at 3:1 glide ratio. But none of this matters since his gliding was not done under canopy. In a proper tracking dive, with booties on your jump suit, you can aget about 1:1 glide ratio with just your body. That big wing of course increased this. Doing the math he fell a little over 5 miles verticaly, so he only had to less then 4:1 to make it 20 miles.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry, G-fource is right. I was working from memory and had a cross-connect. Modern Parafoils get from 3:1 to 4:1 depending on the aspect ratio of chord to span and airfoil thickness. The HAHO rigs the military uses are huge 9 cell canopies that float a long ways.

So, this guys attached wings got him there faster than a square canopy, but he couldn't get there with any equipment unless they make this thing a lot bigger. Using this type of rig for clandestine insertion may sound like a good idea, and with a lot of work may even work.

My point, in the end, was that the current parafoil canopies are actually better for clandestine missions. They allow more men to be packed into a given airframe, deployed as a unit, and carry more equipment just as far, or farther.

I promise to recheck my facts next time before posting.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Keith_929 : The chutes used by HAHO, at least they were when I used to skydive with them, were very large parafoils that were gray.  They are very hard to see at night and very quiet.  They can also carry a huge load, the wing that this guy was using doesn't look like it can carry much of a load.  The special units also have parafoil package delivery systems that they can either have dropped alone or with the HAHO team.  The package will then track to the transmitter.
Probaly were jumping the MT1X, and yes, they are huge, 360's IIRC. The current ones are MT-5 and I believe they are still made by Strong enterprised, the people who make most of the tandom gear in the USA.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts