Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2002 CBR 954rr..Changed the stator and cover everything fine. Week later, riding with my friend, 1hr into the ride, I hear something pop loose...started rattling but still running..
Immediately pull over. and pull the stator cover because there's something rattling in there. Turns out the 4 hex bolts holding the stator on the cover have come loose but all are still there. It was obvious that the stator had been loose and hitting flywheel..Mmmm..

Upon inspection of the stator cover, I see a perfect ring has popped off the stator cover, about 1/4" thick. I remove the shrapnel piece and replace the stator with locktight (this time) into the 4 bolts and replace the cover. Started the bike back up and it ran the sound sounded a little better...

As I drove back home, i started hearing a clicking sound, every few miles..then 10 miles out..it shuts down and I coast trying to start again. It never starts , even tried to jump it. Called a tow truck and brought it home.

Tried to start it when I got it home..fired up but still that sound. Pulled the cover again and 2 bolts fell out and the other 2 heads were shaved and stator bent. It looks like the flywheel shredded the stator off!
Question is. Did i not tighten the 4 bolts tight enough and they rattled loose?with no liquid tight?
Or is my flywheel bent from a lay down on that side prior to me getting it?
HELP!!

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,331 Posts
Take the cover off again. Then take the other side access cover off to get to the crank bolt.

While turning the engine over by the crank bolt, hold a screw driver just away from the end of your flywheel. If it hits the screw driver at any point you know it's out of round, which could mean a few things. The flywheel is damaged. The flywheel bolt is loose, if it has a key way, the key could be missing, or worst case scenario is your crank is bent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts