Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

321 - 331 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
If your worried about someone breaking into your house, get a dog, not a big scary dog that will do nothing, but a little dog that barks when it hears something outside. I have lived in some pretty rough areas and never even had to look at my guns when it comes to being worried about a break in, bottom line is, to all that are paranoid, get a good watch dog to buy you those couple of minutes you need to pull out.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
If your worried about someone breaking into your house, get a dog, not a big scary dog that will do nothing, but a little dog that barks when it hears something outside. I have lived in some pretty rough areas and never even had to look at my guns when it comes to being worried about a break in, bottom line is, to all that are paranoid, get a good watch dog to buy you those couple of minutes you need to pull out.
How long does it take for you to get yours? It should be by your bedside :D

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Like I said ,I don't go to sleep every night thinking someone is going to break into my house, I sleep real good at night especially where I live now. It is very important to master the pull out ghbzorro, firearms or no firearms.:eyebrows:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Advice is out there to not sleep with a handgun under your pillow for obvious reasons. The work around on this is to 1) sleep with 2 pillows - one for your head and one leaned up on the headboard. 2) slip your handgun deep inside the pillowcase on the headboard pillow - It's there, it's safe, and it's very accessible.
This method has worked for me for 20 years. I also have dogs and an electronic security system. This buys a lot of time - and no, I've never had occasion to use deadly force to defend my family. Then again, I haven't used my life insurance policy yet either.

·
Registered
200 Posts
basicly long story short I am a gun owner, I own them leagaly, its my right as laid down by the founding fathers of this country, when they change the laws to out law guns I will become an outlaw. I will not surrender my arms.

Any goverment that is afraid of its Law abiding citizens owning guns, is probably afraid becuase they know they should not be in power, We as citizens Have the obligation to bear arms in case the military cannot cope with foriegn invasion. as well as to defend ourselves and our families and properties from those who would do us harm.

for those of you Who say "move to a nicer neighbor hood", lots of home invasions happen in these nice neighborhoods because no one expects them to because "its such a nice neigbor hood". Wake up.

I have dogs, and guns, if some one breaks into my house and I suspect they are armed they are leaving on a stretcher, or in a bag. (needless to say if you break into my house I am going to assume you are armed). and if your not armed you better arm yourself.

In my opinion there is no such thing as an "innocent" criminal, if your breaking into my house I dont care if your after my tv or my life, the threat is the same to me, I earned everything I have and I will defend it. and to those that wont defend what they have, your the type that criminals rely on. you can thank yourself for the increasing rates of crime.

·
Registered
946 Posts
FUNNY THING you should mention that about crimes in nice areas. Two weeks ago my Girlfriends house was robbed. She lives in a very nice and established area with very low crime. Luckily she was not home, I much rather her be robbed and not at home then to have had the guys show up while she was there. Maybe they would have just kept going maybe not.

Gun Cntrol: The theory a woman laying raped and strangled in an ally is some how morally superior to a woman explaining to the police how her attacker got the fatal bullet wound.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It may surprise you guys to learn that, even though I'm a Brit, I strongly believe in an individual's right to protect his family and his home. And if that protection comes in the form of a handgun, a rifle or a shotgun then so be it.

I do have reservations about automatic weapons, though, if only because when they get into the wrong hands the damage they cause cause is truly staggering.

I also believe all gun owners should be registered. I don't think this is a problem though, as anyone with a genuine intention to protect themselves or their family should have no objection to registration. Whereas, someone with crime as their intention would not wish the weapon to be registered to them.

Carry on fighting for your right to protect yourselves, guys. I'm with ya:thumb:
As a fellow Brit I agree with you except on the registration. This is a big govenment method of keeping tabs on people with guns.

It's used as a lever against gun-owners in the UK who wish to publicise the fight for decriminalising firearms laws. Or even to just try and get others to be gun-owners and popularising gun-ownership.

Basically if any gun-owner is seen to be 'supporting his right' the firearms plod in this area can refuse to grant a firearms license at renewal!
The excuse they use is you're not supposed to show a face to a gun (allegedly) as this can mean criminals can try to break into your house.
(From 1968 it was made illegal for gun-owners to own a weapon for self-defence)

Another reason is it costs money and the license system costs money, you have to have visits from the police.

It's also a way of the cops knowing where to rush to in order to disarm them if there's an outbreak of martial law.

I'll take my own chances thanks rather than some overblown government who thinks it knows best.. :)

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
There's been nothing on here about Sandy Hook, or any of the other 1600 or so fatalities caused by "mass shootings" in the US since then until the Florida shooting of a few days ago. I see a lot of similarities between motorbike ownership and gun ownership....both are extremely powerful tools which need a lot of restraint by owners to avoid things getting out of hand. Bikes seem to result in more deaths of the owners themselves than guns do... but I can understand the sentiments of gun owners. Unfortunately it's the best tool you can get to kill people if the fancy takes you, and you aren't physically capable or skilled enough in using other tools that require you to get closer in to achieve results. We all know that guns don't kill people, people do, but is it ever going to be possible to prevent the crazies from doing what their urges tell them to do? I doubt it somehow. If you had gun control then they'd just use something else....like mass poisoning, arson, gassing, whatever. Guns are just easy, the others take a little forethought and creativity. The worst of these incidents seem planned and calculated, so it's no defense of gun control to say that guns can too easily be used in the heat of the moment. Guns will ALWAYS be used in emotionally-charged (or crime-based turf) incidents, especially by enraged weak/downtrodden people who have no other way of venting their fury. But it seems that is not the chief characteristic of the people who are social outcasts and spent their free time fermenting up a revenge attack for some perceived slight. These are the ones that really have to be watched (or even better, helped), and I think it would be more effective to try to get society to be more sympathetic so that this isolation that takes place and allows these people to fester away on their own until they run amok, is much less likely to happen. Gun/knife/sword/poison/gas/club/fist control will only ever be a band-aid.
But given the trend towards polarisation of society, where the rich get fewer and more rich (and more arrogant), and the poor get more numerous and more poor (and more angry), are we ever going to be able to solve the basic problem? I won't even get started on the social isolation of kids through social media....that one has got a LOOOOOONG way to go.....but the end-game is similar. Terrorism accounts for relatively so few people that it is a minor issue, with a few exceptions. The terrorists bank on the fact that what they do will have plenty of media coverage, and is mainly intended to influence goverment policy, where for the terrorists all else has failed.

No doubt there will be plenty of other opinions, not sure if I should be posting this at all here, but hey, what else are we going to talk about in February?

321 - 331 of 331 Posts